Pod Your Reef

gobie's in a 10 gallon?

JGoslee

Probably most, as the majority do not get very big. I was quite suprised when my LFS showed me a Red-Headed Sleeper Goby that was small enough to fit in a BIC pen cap!

It seems many prefer citron/clown gobies, but take all these ideas with a grain of salt. Many gobies are hard to feed and demand more room as they might reject preparred foods then starve in the undernourishing tank. My advice is to do some very specific research on the 2 that have been suggested, as well as any others that you are interested in.

Laura Boyle

Pulpsmack,

What is a good resource for more specifics on gobies (and reef fish in general)?  I've been cruising the internet and have a few books on order (5 - 10 days!).  I'd rather have too much info than not enough.  

Thanks!

Unfortunately we're talking about one of the largest families of reef fishes, so there will not be a comprehensive source. Online sources can include reefcentral.com & wetwebmedia.com. There was a very good book that completely escapes me about gobies (sorry), but outside of specialty books, you might consider some beginner books and reference what gobies are suggested for beginners and why they are reccommended. Often (but never always) beginner fish are a good start to research for nanos, as they are often the hardiest and easiest to care for.

Laura Boyle

FreddieJoe,

Do you have an address for that site?  I did a search and it came up as no longer in existence.

Thanks!

printerdown01

Your best bet for info on gobies is simply to find someone who has owned the particular type of goby you want to keep and asking them... Honestly, books seem to be very general on gobies recommending almost the exact same treatment for all of them, when in fact they have very different needs. Most gobies do not chase down food, prefering instead to almost have the food laid out in front of them. This makes it very hard to keep some goby species. However, there are many exceptions to this rule... Another good bet, is to try and find a tank raised goby (many are availible), these will accept a wider variety of foods and won't hide as much (well generally speaking).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know it sounds kind of big, but I have a five inch engineer goby in my 10 gal. He spends all day re arranging my sand. Beware!! they need alot of sand. I have a three inch bed that he burrows in. He eat ghost, and brine shrimp and flake food.

Archived