Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what size sump/refugium for a 75g?

teajay33

im starting up a 75g and am gonna make my own filtration system/sump/refigium etc ... the guys at the LFS said a 20g long, a 29g seems to be too tall for the bottom of the cabinet. not much room for gettin in there. any ideas?

You should let me build you one. Just playing! I am all for diy projects. You actually should try to get the 29 gallon in there. You need to keep in mind that you are probably not gonna run the sump full of water. For instance I have an acrylic sump that will hold 30 gallons of water, well I only keek 22 gallons in it. So in a 20 gallon you may only have 10-12 gallons of water in it. Just a thought.

I'd suggest getting as big of one as you can sit. I have a total of 45 gallons of sump/fuge for a 39 gallon tank. It's nice to have the extra volume and working space, and you can really make a fuge something nice to look at.

I have a 75g with a 20g long sump. although I think it would be nice having the added height sometimes, the stand really isnt roomy enough to get any work done under there if the tank is much taller than a 20L. I highly recommend just going with the 20L. The length of the sump is really important for holding the equipment and giving room for the microbubbles to disperse, but I dont think i'd get much added benefit from a 29.

I'd suggest getting as big of one as you can sit. I have a total of 45 gallons of sump/fuge for a 39 gallon tank. It's nice to have the extra volume and working space, and you can really make a fuge something nice to look at.

AQUEON MAKES A 30 GALLON THAT IS 36"X12"X16" WHICH SHOULD FIT PERFECTLY. REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN TAKE THE MAIN TANK OFF OF THE STAND AND TRY TO PUT THE SUMP IN FROM THE TOP. IT WILL FIT MUCH EASIER THAN TRYING TO SQUEEZE IT INTO THE FRONT THROUGH TH DOORS OR HAVING TO TAKE THE STAND APART TO GET IT IN. i AM ASSUMING THAT YOU HAVE THE STANDARD 75 GALLON AGA STAND.

yeah just what i thought. with that 29 g i cant even get my hands in there good to get to things. i was just hoping there was another option. 20g long it is. thanks.

TJ

PS since no one looked at my fish question in the FISH forum, anyone know if i could set up some green chromis so that they school in my tank without over doing it fish wise? i've already got a regal blue tang, 2 clowns, a 6 line wrasse and a yellow tang ordered... was thinking 3-5 green chromis? or any other pretty schooling fish? thanks:)

AQUEON MAKES A 30 GALLON THAT IS 36"X12"X16" WHICH SHOULD FIT PERFECTLY. REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN TAKE THE MAIN TANK OFF OF THE STAND AND TRY TO PUT THE SUMP IN FROM THE TOP. IT WILL FIT MUCH EASIER THAN TRYING TO SQUEEZE IT INTO THE FRONT THROUGH TH DOORS OR HAVING TO TAKE THE STAND APART TO GET IT IN. i AM ASSUMING THAT YOU HAVE THE STANDARD 75 GALLON AGA STAND.

yeah but on that note, if i have a leak down there, i want to be able to get things out without draining the tank.

I started out with a school of 14 blue-green chromis when I wanted my tank to be species only, within a month I had 1. I will never buy chromis again. They are beautiful and WILL school together, but it is tough to get them to stop killing each other. If you are just getting a few (3-5), you might consider anthias. They are a bit more expensive, but they seem to survive better, although I've really only seen schools of them in large systems.

I'd get more opinions, maybe I just had bad luck. I think that chromis have a reputation of doing this though.

it may but it depends on other things like skimmer, and the amount of water changes you do. Anthias require multiple feedings a day and if your filtration system can not handle that then I wouldn't. Not to mention that between your two tangs you already have two pigs

oh yeah and the chromis....its a disaster waiting to happen

anthias IMO do not "require" multiple feedings a day, they might prefer them, but they do fine with a once a day feeding, i typically give them an extra pinch of flake food during the day, so they get fed at least twice, but with all the other hogs in the tank, namely two clowns, pretty much all of the food gets eaten, the CUC gets the rest, so theres very little uneaten food that actually makes it for long at all

anthias IMO do not "require" multiple feedings a day, they might prefer them, but they do fine with a once a day feeding, i typically give them an extra pinch of flake food during the day, so they get fed at least twice, but with all the other hogs in the tank, namely two clowns, pretty much all of the food gets eaten, the CUC gets the rest, so theres very little uneaten food that actually makes it for long at all

alright, they don't "require" multiple feedings but the coloration and overall look of them greatly approves when you feed them more often. During Christmas when i took 2 weeks off, I managed to feed my fish 3 times a day vs the 1 time a day, and night and day difference between the coloration and overall apperance of them

alright, they don't "require" multiple feedings but the coloration and overall look of them greatly approves when you feed them more often. During Christmas when i took 2 weeks off, I managed to feed my fish 3 times a day vs the 1 time a day, and night and day difference between the coloration and overall apperance of them

agreed, i have been "testing" my systems load capability the last week i've been home, feeding a pinch of flake in the morning, then a dose of brine and mysis and algae later in the day, then flake again in the evening, everybody in the tank is eating every bit and happy :)

but on topic

i have a 75 gallon tank and just bought a 20 tall acrylic tank from glasscages (which had a leak btw, but wince it is acrylic it was easily repaired), had a local reefer make a custom sump out of it for me, and it is big enough, just dont go any smaller

when i pull the plug on my mag 9 return pump, the level in the sump gets within an inch of the top of the sump, although, i dont have any holes drilled in the returns or drain to allow it to suck air, which i should do, but even without them it does not overflow in a power outage situation

that being said, if you can fit a 29 gal sump in the stand, go for it

When i was asking about my refrigium everyone i asked said that you should have atleast a 1/4 of the tank volume in the refrigium, but the more the better.

Archived