Cultivated Reef

FasTest Copper Test Instructions

camustang

I have the FasTest Copper test (two part test, comes in the little foil packets), but I seem to have misplaced (ie: lost, or thrown away) the directions.  I bought the test, but didn't need to test for awhile after I bought it.  I searched the web, but couldn't find anything.  The two things I need, are:

1) Time - What are the times between packet 1 and packet 2, and then the time after packet 2 to wait for the result.

2) Water Level - There are two lines on the test tube.  Do I fill it up to the top line at the beginning, and go from there, or first only to the first line?

Thanks,

Andrew

Here, I'll type up the instructions

1)

1. Rinse test fixtre with water to be tested, then fill to line.

2. Open copper test chemical packet #1 and empty contents into sample.  Cap and shake to dissolve until solution becomes a uniform brown color.

3. Open copper test chemical packet #2 and empty contents into sample. Cap and shake to dissolve.

4. Wait two minutes for color to develop. Compare sample to color chip and read copper. For accurate results, view sample and color chip against white background illuminated by either natural or fluorescent light.

5. Clean fixture and cap with fresh water after each use. Color chips are calibrated for reliable test results. To avoid discoloration, please store cube away from light.

2) Due to a mold change there are now two lines on the Copper Test Kit vial; the correct fill line for the Copper Test Kit is the top line.

Now I've got a question for you.  Do you know if there is an acceptable amount of copper?  Seems like I've got .05 in my water (I guess the distiller I get my water from uses copper pipes).  I'm wondering if this is serious or not.

Linty,

Thanks for the response...I'm surprised that it took so long for someone to pull out their copper test kit...maybe no one here has FO tanks, just nanos, and so doesn't use copper... <smile>

Anyway, from my understanding, you don't want copper readings about .15.  Hope that helps, and thanks again...

-Andrew

I don't even know what a FO tank is (and I just bought my kit) :)

I was testing my water source for copper...

It did contain some, and I guess it's a problem since copper doesn't evaporate my levels would keep rising.

:(

Archived