inTank Media Baskets

Help - need info on Barnicle Blenny

danmtx

Hah, if you find anything, please let me know.

I have one LFS here that sells them as Red-Eye Barnacle Blennies.  According to the owner, the females of the same species have blue eyes, so I suspect that her "common" name for them is probably not too commonly used.

When she showed me these little guys, I instantly wanted one, but I have yet to find an ounce of info on them.  I can only tell you what she told and showed me.

They grow to about 2".  They're sold with the barnacle that they've made their home.  Once put in your aquarium, though, they might adopt another barnacle, or possibly some other type of cave.  They spend almost all of their time in their barnacle, peeking out.  They pretty much only come out to find a new barnacle, or for food.  When they come out for food, it's so cute (this, I witnessed).  They shoot out of their home like a bat out of hell, plow through the food (flake, in this case), then dive back into their hole.  Lather, rinse repeat, until they're full.

Again, according to this person, these are the only blennies that should ever be put into a small reef tank.  Her personal 15g display tank has had two of them for half a year without any problems.  In her opinion, there would be no conflicts with moderately territorial fish, such as my ocellaris clowns.  In the end, though, I decided my 10g feels too small for my pair of small clowns....  there's no way I'm adding another fish.  I'm definitely going to consider these blennies when I upgrade, though.

As best I can tell, they're of the species Hypsoblennius brevipinnis, but I've seen several quite-different looking barnacle blennies labelled that.  However, I think that's what just about everyone sells them as.

Try searching for them over on reef central.  I know I've seen a discussion or two over there.

• 2 weeks later...
oceanjunkie

A local reefer has 3 of these guys in her tank.  I only noticed them when she put some food in the tank, and all of a sudden these guys were darting in/out of their hiding spots.  Awesome little fish.  I've been looking for them, but most people havent even heard of them before.  I think she said she ordered them from flying fish express or one of those big livestock dealers.  I want to find them locally so I dont have to spend $$$$ on shipping a $10 fish.

Archived