Pod Your Reef

My refugium built in about an hour.

jtown

Check it out. I just created something where I can have the front half look nice as well. I can also just put macro in both front and back compartments. Looking from the top, water enters the top-left side and pumps back up to the main tank in the front compartment.

Whatdaya think?

refugium01.jpg

refugium02.jpg

Btw, I know my baffles are a little crooked. I was lazy when I constructed it and didn't use and clamps.

What is the compartment in the top right (top view)? that looks pretty cool. I ALMOST did something very similar, so I could have a refugium/frag tank.

Originally posted by Korbin

What is the compartment in the top right (top view)?   that looks pretty cool.  I ALMOST did something very similar, so I could have a refugium/frag tank.

That compartment is pretty much the last baffle section. I wanted to keep the back wall flat and the only way I could have the water flow into the front compartment that way is the way I've done it.

jtown:

Where did you get the acrylic cut? Did you do it yourself? Also, what kind of silicon did you use exactly? I'm going to be doing a similar setup but I'm not sure on these last things.

-moore

Originally posted by moorediddy

jtown:

Where did you get the acrylic cut? Did you do it yourself? Also, what kind of silicon did you use exactly? I'm going to be doing a similar setup but I'm not sure on these last things.

-moore

I cut everything myself. I have a table saw which helps tremendously. If you don't have a table saw, get the plastic shop you buy it at to cut the right dimensions for you. They should do it for free and if they don't, shop somewhere else.

I used two types of silicone ... just the basic stuff you see at your local pet store. One was the All-Glass brand and the other is some green/white package one. I've tested it and it's fairly leak free.

Great! Yeah, I just got back from Home Depot and they have sheets of acrylic there, and I think they cut for free too. Although, I might just cut it myself using the utility knife method. I think I'm getting closer to go-time, my research is starting to come together. It also helps that you have documented your progress, because your setup is very similar to mine. What do you plan on doing for the drain line as far as overflow, or strainer on the bulkhead, etc. I'm thinking about building a DIY overflow blow out of acrylic from Home Depot, and putting that in the top corner where I'm going to drill.

-moore

Originally posted by moorediddy

Great! Yeah, I just got back from Home Depot and they have sheets of acrylic there, and I think they cut for free too. Although, I might just cut it myself using the utility knife method. I think I'm getting closer to go-time, my research is starting to come together. It also helps that you have documented your progress, because your setup is very similar to mine. What do you plan on doing for the drain line as far as overflow, or strainer on the bulkhead, etc. I'm thinking about building a DIY overflow blow out of acrylic from Home Depot, and putting that in the top corner where I'm going to drill.

-moore

I got a black piece of arcylic bent at 90 degree angle for a corner overflow box. :)

• 1 month later...

ah well this idea turned into garbage. It wouldn't allow for enough flow out into the front compartment. When I tried to make a new one, I managed to crack the glass .... now everything is sitting in my garage ... waiting for a long weekend.

Archived