SaltCritters.com

Best nano-reef book?

Steve-Ward.net

Steve-Ward.net

Anyone out there have a good suggestion for a good book for a beginning nano-reefer?

Mine's been up close to two months now and going great. I've learned so much, so I'm not a complete beginner, but still at the beginning stages.

I'm wondering if there is a good book or two out there I could read to help me along? I'm considering buying the Conscientious Aquarist, though wondering if it might prove to be limited in terms of the usefull information it can provide for a nano-reef aquarist.

Or, on the other hand, can all the info I need be found on the Internet?

I feel like I don't really need a book, but I would like to feel like I know what I'm doing a little bit more, and I read a lot of books, so it makes sense for me.

Thanks,

Steve

coming soon, to a book store near you, ESPI's reef keeping, complete with nano section.

I'd say the internet should give you plenty of info. This site being the best. Much of the stuff I have read is geared towards larger reefs and, while some of the info remains pertinent for tanks all sizes, some of it becomes less of an issue and other info is really nanocentric, in my opinion.

i think tullock's The Natural Reef Aquarium is the only book that really discusses setting up a nano (step-by-step). it's slightly dated (it doesn't even call it a nano) but it's a very good overall read and very good presentation of various possible biotopes. i'm giving my copy to my bro who's (re)starting out in SW/reef. a great book, nano-reefing or not imo.

calfo & fenner's new book has a good section on refugiums (too late dave X) ) but it can be loosely translated to nano setup imo. haven't completed the book though but it's a great (and most importantly, up-to-date) book so far.

like crak says, dave's "Reefing for Dummies" or is it "Micro-Marine Aquascaping" :P should be the next definitive nano resource. altho TRA III's coming out too. :

Steve-Ward.net

thanks for all the replies. For now I'll wait, but probably end up getting Reefing for Dummies when it comes out.

The one book with tons of pertinant information for any nano-keeper and the book that ought to be standard issue when you say "I want a reef" has to be Aquarium Corals by Borneman. Simply THE BIBLE of coral keeping. Information on damn near everything you'll ever want to keep and then some in the way of corals. Its a great wishlist book and a great information resource for when you want to know about the husbandry of keeping just about any coral in captivity. Coral reqs don't change based on the size of your tank..:)

chang,

sorry about that. that's just my attempt at humor. i don't think dave's settled on a title yet or even if the eventual publisher would accept dave's suggestion given dave's predilection for tourette typing. X)

My 2 favorite books are Natural Reef Aquariums by JH Tullock:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=4731

and Corals for the Mini-Reef Aquarium by HR Axelrod:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=4727

The smallest tank covered in the Natural Reef Aquarium is 20 gallons, so it is not exclusive to the "nano" reef hobby.....but it does cover the science that makes it possible. The author uses a lot of cool analogies between the natural systems in the ocean and how the hobby duplicates them. contradictions discovered within reef-keeping methods of yesterday and the advancement of the hobby are also covered. very good-looking book with the most modern approach i've seen so far.

The corals book is mostly a reference guide.

axelrod's got sticky pages tho :x

the laminating process during publishing makes them stick together, what? what were you thinking? :

i like axelrod's book but it really is out-of-date. borneman's is much better text wise, altho axelrod's is better pic wise imo. (it's that sticky pic process which is patented by axelrod, he's filthy rich! X) )

Originally posted by changhsu

When will Dave ESPI's book be out? Is it going to be called "Reefing for Dummies"?

:-*

in case some of you don't know, there is a 'Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies' book out now:rolleyes:

Archived