Innovative Marine Aquariums

Astrea or "cone"

Satchmo

Just added my cleanup crew yesterday.  I got one turbo, a few hermits, and a few small, white snails labeled as "cone snails".  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't cone snails the predatory ones that have a sort of ice cream cone shape?  These guys look like astreas to me (or at least the pics I've seen of astreas).  They are white, <1 inch, and have more of a hershey's kiss shape.  I figured they were mislabled, and when I got them home, they immediately started going to town on my green algae.  If someone has a pic of a white astrea handy, please post.  Thanks.

What you have doesn't sound like a cone snail....but here are some pics of cone shells.....

http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/con...pics/cones.html

if someone is selling real cone snails, they should have their heads examined as many of the cones are venomous and some have the potential to kill humans. Since there are so many different cones I would think it would be very hard to tell which is deadly and which one is not!

This site has pics of various snails including astreas.....

www.premiumaquatics.com/thestore/Snails.html

(Edited by fishymissy at 1:07 pm on June 30, 2002)

(Edited by fishymissy at 1:08 pm on June 30, 2002)

I've had to edit this 3 times because I got the address wrong on the coneshell pics....sorry!!

(Edited by fishymissy at 1:11 pm on June 30, 2002)

Thanks for the reply Missy.  Your discription of a cone snail is along the lines with what I've read about them.  I couldn't imagine them being sold either.  These things have got to be astreas based on the pics you provided (thanks) and the fact that they're mowing through my algea like nobody's business (cones are not herbivorous form my understanding).  It just seems odd that a fairly decent LFS would mislabel something as commonplace as astrea snails.  Oh well.  Thanks again.

hi

to tell the truth a lot of stores and their staff dont know

what they are selling :(

i always look them up befor buying(fish that is)

good luck:flower2:

Archived