SaltCritters.com

what do I put in tank!!!

gunslinger

I have been looking and reading and going to the lfs tring to become alittle less confused..I see the nano tank and really want a quality 10 g tank. I dont know what to call the sea life I am looking at.It makes it real hard to ask good questions when you don't know what to ask; I thought they were animities then they said they were soft corals or inverts .

the second thing I am having a problem with is the lighting.. There are so many types on lighting and some are way out of my range. If you read 20 different post you get 15 dirrerent ways to do it.When they abreviate it makes it even harder.Can someone explain it in simple terms.I have only been into the salt water for about 7 months.

Thanks

Read, read, read....everywhere online. You'll start to get the hang of things eventually. As far as lighting goes..unfortunately...it IS expensive..the most expensive thing you'll buy for your reef more than likely. To break that down quickly for you...there are usually 5 types we talk about here...NO (Normal Output flourescent..the standard tubes that most hoods come with), HO (High Output fluorescents..the new T5 tubes that nobody really has a lot of experience with), VHO (Very High Output fluorescents...the old reefing standby for larger tanks), PC or CF (Powercompact or Compact fluorescents..these are what lot of people use..but they're still "just a fluroescent" in my book), and MH (metal halide..top of the line..gold standard..and in my opinion..ought to be over every reef tank). Do net searches to read more indepth about each one...lighting is a very complex and touchy subject..the only thing that most people agree on is that you need LOTS..which again..gets expensive..

Thanks for the quick lesson on lighting it really helps when you know what the abbr for things are. I will read some more and come back with more exact questions. Thanks for the help.

Archived