ReefCleaners.org

20g L and cooling

edmund67

hi, 20 gallon long, about 1 yr old. nothing special. I neglect the tank alot. No filters, I use a whisper hang on filter to circulate the water. No skimmer. I do about 3 g water change per month. Sometimes less. No additives. I hope there is enough essential metals in my salt mix. About twice a month I give my dotty back some flake food. I want more coral variety.

I modified the hood with two standard tubes (atentic, white light). I also built a cooling circuit with a 9 volt adaptor, 741 op amp and transistor, thermister, potentiometer. led, and two computer muffin fans. Durring summer my cooling circuit kicks in and with the evaporative process the tank is maintained at a constant 79 degrees. I went with low wattage tubes to decrease heat in the tank. Also I choose a short tank to get good light penitration. Alot of my corals were started with scrap pieces my friend gave to me.

I don't know how to send more than on pic.

bye

full pic of fans and circuit. Fans mount to top of hood in back. air circulates over surface of water and evaporates. Evaporatin cools tank enough to maintaing 79 degrees constant. My next project is to make a small solar 5 gallon distiller for H2O.

I'd like to see your plans for the solar distiller, curious how it will work without a lot of evap. Tank looks pretty good with that little maint.

• 11 months later...

Archived