Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is this alage?

twenty12

So I have green stuff growing in my tank now. I think some might be what people are calling coraline algae (good) while others might be bad algae. I was hoping someone could point out what kind of algae, and what I should do to help eliminate it from the tank.

Picture 1 (I think Coraline)

2267487037_36292022aa.jpg

Picture 2 (I think both). Coraline in the white areas towards left bottom and other algae on top right.

2268274888_a21d173416.jpg

Picture 3 (I think mainly algae)

2268274712_3c50d5e1b6.jpg

I can post other or bigger pictures if needed. But some of it is very smooth, almost hard crust like green coloration on the white areas. I think thats the coraline getting its color back. But other areas are a little more mossy (mainly areas that did not have white before). I see some green tint on some snails as well which makes me think its algae.

Presently I run lights 8 hrs (72w of pc lighting as stock biocube 29)

I have about 12 snails (3 sand burrowing and the other 9 rock/glass cleaners), 2 crabs, peppermint shrimp.

Let me know what you think... thanks!

It's not coraline, coraline is pink theres no green coraline. I get that kind of algea when i don't do whater changes.

Yes there is, quick google search..

"Coralline Algae exists in a variety of different colors (green, pink, white, purple, red)."

saltaquarium.about.com/od/aboutcorallinealgae/ss/coralline.htm

It looks like coralline to me. If its encrusted and wont come off scratching it with your fingernail it is green coralline algea.

supreme_spork
Yes there is, quick google search..

"Coralline Algae exists in a variety of different colors (green, pink, white, purple, red)."

saltaquarium.about.com/od/aboutcorallinealgae/ss/coralline.htm

It looks like coralline to me. If its encrusted and wont come off scratching it with your fingernail it is green coralline algea.

yup, picture one looks like green coralline to me. 3 looks like plain old algae. :P

It's not coraline, coraline is pink theres no green coraline. I get that kind of algea when i don't do whater changes.

lol, yea theres many type of coraline. looks all like coraline to me besides the last one

I agree that some is coraline and some is not based on additional research. Because some is like a ceramic hard material you can't scratch off, and others is more moss like. So what kind of cuc should I add to help combat this? I do water changes weekly (about 15%) and my readings are good.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a very similar type of algae starting to come out on my rocks. I have had my tank set up for about 6 weeks or so now. When i bought the rock from my LFS it was only out of the water for about 1 hour on the trip home. So... i didn't have much of a die off, and subsequently a very short cycle. I have a large amount of white "ceramic" looking stuff on my rocks. This was lime green when i bought them, and this turned to its present white color within a couple of days after putting it in my tank. This white growth is what seems to be turning the lime green color that it was to start with. It looks very much like picure 1 above. I am new at this, this is my first SW tank. So... i too have been tryihg to figure out what it is. I have been researching and it looks like a coraline type of algae. it is much thicker and tougher looking than the algae bloom that i had a couple of weeks after i set up my tank. That was taken care of by the snails that i put in. THis seems to be hanging on. I will post a pic as soon as i can.

lakshwadeep
mine started out green like that but is SLOWLY turning over to purple/pinkish.

+1. purple/pink coralline will eventually out-compete many of the other varieties.

+1. purple/pink coralline will eventually out-compete many of the other varieties.

In my experience - all that green stuff will turn purple - looks harmless

I have that, some has turned purple, some pink, still I have some green. It's good, as long as it's not hairy or slimey!!!!

Looks like you've got good algae growing, but I'm still a noob.

I am starting to see some purple colors coming in. So it looks like it will change over to purple in time. So far no hairy or slimy algae (crosses finders). I increased my cleaning crew a little and it seems to be in check better now.

i have the green coralline algae growing on my rocks, glass, and back wall. I am excited to see it change to purple and pink. I have found that bi-color blennies do a pretty good job of controlling algae in a nano since they graze off of it constantly and they don't get very big. Snails are also a good idea.

mine started out green like that but is SLOWLY turning over to purple/pinkish.

Same here, but the algae on my glass is still green. I'm pretty sure that it is green coralline because even a razor won't get it off easily.

Archived