Top Shelf Aquatics

Do I still need a power filter?

Flipturn88

Well I have found the tank I am about 90% sure I want to get. It is a 28 gallon bowfront topfin with a really nice stand. The canopy has a section you can cut to accomodate any fitlers, skimmers, etc. so that is not an issue.

My only question is if I should get a power filter...? I am going to get a protein skimmer (prob. a good seaclone or prizim), and I will have an adequate amount of LR (prob. around 45 lbs). Plus a deep sandbed. I've read that biowheels increase the nitrite/ nitrate count, and that you don't want any organisms living in the filter to compete with the liverock. So are power filters still important? Are there any other filters I should consider ( I can't do wet/dry or a sump--my budget does not permit :ermm: )

Thanks as always!

~Kayla

My only question is if I should get a power filter...?

If you're going reef, don't bother. If you're doing fish only, maybe -- they can process a s*hitload of fish waste from toxic ammonia and nitrites to much less toxic nitrate. But ... nitrate = bad for corals.

I am going to get a protein skimmer (prob. a good seaclone or prizim)

I had a SeaClone. My Prizm + surface skimmer = much better ... but ... it's noisy and requires fiddling. I should've got a BakPak or Remora. Quieter and more efficient, but more $$$. Then again, you'll be saving $$$ without the power filter ;)

So are power filters still important? Are there any other filters I should consider ( I can't do wet/dry or a sump--my budget does not permit )

Think about a hang on back (HOB ) refugium. It'll provide a place for 'pods and macro algae to grow. 'Pods = food for corals and fish + are great scavengers. Allowed to grow without predation, they'll help keep your tank clean. Macro algae = nutrient export. Grow some macro in a 'fuge and you won't get as much algae growth in your tank. Plus it's easier to yank out of a fuge. Cost is about $60 for pre-fab from EBay (acryliccity) and $10 for a light.

This is all IMO from my experience, mind you. Good luck!

Archived