ReefCleaners.org

Lighting for a 20L

Chyendra

I currently have a 20 gallon long tank and i'd like to start my first reef tank.

i love the design of the 20 longs because they have great surface area, but i'm haveing trouble finding a hood or even a light strip to fit it. I'm interested in useing a powercompact lighting system (as long as that is a good idea?...)

the demensions of the tank are 30"x12"x12"

can anybody help me on what type to use and where to buy it? i really don't have any saltwater shops in my area.

NaNO ReeFiN

A 2 x 55 retrofit kit would be perfect for this size tank.

There are plenty of online vendors that sell these lights.. as for a hood/canopy, I'm sure you could order one from your LFS. Or, try building one yourself.

i'm all for building them myself. That's what i've done for most of my freshwater tanks, the DIY way. i would just need some help with what to use and everything.

The only LFS we have is Petsmart, and i work at it. We really have crap as far as saltwater lighting goes.

what exactly would i need for building my own?

reflector, ballast, blubs, fan, i'm not sure what else, i'm very new to this all.

• 2 weeks later...

Chyendra,

I am currently contemplating the same question (I am splitting a 20H between a small cylindrical tank and a 20L).

I think that I have finally decided to go with an IceCap 430 ballast and 2 - 24 inch - 20 watt NO - URI 50/50 fluorescent bulbs and 2 - 24 inch - 20 watt NO - URI Blue Actinic fluorescent bulbs.

While not as much light as the 2x55, they will give me the option of replacing the bulbs with 75 watt VHO bulbs down the road, or simply snagging the ballast and throwing it on a different tank (the ballast can dynamically handle up to 12ft of lighting so... maybe I will have 3 - 48" - VHO's on my 90g tank with some metal halide suplement... ;)

~V

Originally posted by Chyendra

I currently have a 20 gallon long tank and i'd like to start my first reef tank.

i love the design of the 20 longs because they have great surface area, but i'm haveing trouble finding a hood or even a light strip to fit it. I'm interested in useing a powercompact lighting system (as long as that is a good idea?...)  

the demensions of the tank are 30"x12"x12"

can anybody help me on what type to use and where to buy it? i really don't have any saltwater shops in my area.

Custom sea life makes 30" pc lights in 65watt. I have one 30" smart light 50/50 and two NO lamps over my 29 gal which is 30Lx12W.

Here's my 2X65 watt Coralife fixture over my 20 long. I am upgrading to metal halide so this *BRAND NEW!* light may be on sale very soon (Don't say it El Dante! Don't say it! :P).

fullview20.jpg

Exactly a grand total of a looooong 3 .... days. :)

The Eclipse 12 I had all the stuff in though had been up for a long time and I just transferred it all over the weekend.

Holy crap man!!! Another one. I just happened to stumble on this thread, and when I saw your name and lights together, I figured you'd add to the discussion, but another set of lights...wow!! For the prospect who will be buying the light, it will virtually be brand new, b/c they only last a couple hours in Jdsabin's tank...lol. How in the world did you ever pick a place to live, a car to drive, and the one and only soul mate...lol. Hey, but I'm sure your corals are loving it. BTW, the tank looks awesome!!

Archived