Top Shelf Aquatics

I am curious if cycling is finished

sernger

I had an ammonia spike, and then a nitrite spike. Now both are at 0. I know there's a nitrate spike, but I dont' know if it happened yet. The nitrates test for 0. A week or so ago, my nitrites were really high and nitrates were present. Now everything seems to be 0. My question is, did I have a nitrate spike already or will it arrive within the next few days?

My pH is around 8.0-8.1, salinity is 1.024-1.025. Water is pretty high at high 83.

How do I lower my temperature without a chiller? I have a glass cover, which may contribute to heat, but how would I lower the heat besides taking off the glass cover?

I'll probably wait a week or so and see if everything is still at 0, then do a big water change? And then add inverts? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

What did you do to lower your Nitrates? Nitrites become Nitrates and water changes remove Nitrates. I wonder if your test kit is accurate?

If the room temp is below your water temp, the heat is probably coming from your lights. You can try putting a computer case fan on your hood. I’ve also considered putting one on top of my HOB filter to increase evaporation.

Orange Crush

nitrates do not spike, and it is a smalll possibility that you will never get them in high quantities. This varies greatly from tank to tank. Nitrates are a biproduct of wastes, but there are organisms that use nitrates (alage) as well. If you saw both ammonia and nitites spike, and both are at 0, you're ok now to slowly add inverts, etc.

A large water change is unnecessary. Time to begin your regular routine.

Why do you have the cover? While it does help reduce evaporation, it's probably not necessary unless it's to protect the lights from the water. Removing it would help your heat issue.

Archived