inTank Media Baskets

Question: Water changes and pH correction

TIBURON

Anyone here correct pH with every water change. What tool do you use to measure the pH? Chemical test solutions or pH measuring tool? Water changing sounds easy enough, but actually, if done wrong can cause more harm then good. I just know that pH and temperature better be identical, esp in a nano reef. Thank you in advance for your help.

The Propagator

1st:

Please don't flame him guys. Let me see how far in he is......

Ok ......

How long have you been keeping a reef? IE how long has the tank been set up from day one of adding water and rock? (I am trying to gauge your experience level.)

There are lots of parameters to water when doing a WC. Matching as many as possible with new water to tank water is very important. Generally you want to be dead on with salinity and temperature.

In the case of pH your salt mix should be able to give you the right amount of pH when mixed with clean RO or RODI water. If you notice that the newly mixed water is off in pH, try to really up your flow rate in the mixing bucket and see if that helps. Make sure that your other parameters of temperature and salinity already match your tank water before turning up your flow rate. Also make sure your running that with the lid off to allow for good gas exchange.

Note that pH will also shift from day to night on your reef. You can use any tool you so desire to measure pH levels. pH levels are also closely linked to Alkalinity. Do some research to understand the link.

Generally people will use pH test strips or chemical test kits. If you dont already have a test kit it might be a good idea to buy one; useful kits will include tools or chemicals to measure Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia and sometimes a few other things like Alkalinity, Calcium, Mg, etc.

Good luck, I hope that helps. keep researching.

There are lots of parameters to water when doing a WC. Matching as many as possible with new water to tank water is very important. Generally you want to be dead on with salinity and temperature.

In the case of pH your salt mix should be able to give you the right amount of pH when mixed with clean RO or RODI water. If you notice that the newly mixed water is off in pH, try to really up your flow rate in the mixing bucket and see if that helps. Make sure that your other parameters of temperature and salinity already match your tank water before turning up your flow rate. Also make sure your running that with the lid off to allow for good gas exchange.

Note that pH will also shift from day to night on your reef. You can use any tool you so desire to measure pH levels. pH levels are also closely linked to Alkalinity. Do some research to understand the link.

Generally people will use pH test strips or chemical test kits. If you dont already have a test kit it might be a good idea to buy one; useful kits will include tools or chemicals to measure Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia and sometimes a few other things like Alkalinity, Calcium, Mg, etc.

Good luck, I hope that helps. keep researching.

+1

The big thing is to make sure you mix your water to 1.026. Generally that will keep your Alk high enough to prevent large Ph swings. As long as your new water is well mixed and airated the Ph should be fine.

Don't chase your pH, it's a constantly fluctuating parameter and by trying to "fix" it you'll end up causing more problems than you started with IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't chase your pH, it's a constantly fluctuating parameter and by trying to "fix" it you'll end up causing more problems than you started with IMO.

+1

Archived