Top Shelf Aquatics

cycle lighting and filtration help!!

tclinnard

Ok, my cycle has been up and running for about 2 weeks now. I had a 15w fluorescent light that came with the tank, but today I got the 96w power quad that everyone on this site highly recommends. How many hours per day do I need the light to be on during my cycle? Also, I have some dirt/dust particles, along with a few pieces of cat hair floating on top of my water. My HOB can't seem to do any good on them because they never sink. Any suggestions on how to get it out? Thanks,

Trent C.

Whats the other specs on your tank?

I cycled mostly with Normal Output bulbs only running about 4-6 hours a day. I got a small breakout of diatoms, hair and then finally cyano.

The diatoms and hair algae subsided after I added more LR. I started with about 8 lbs and then added another 7-8 lbs a couple weeks into the cycle. This was more a $$ issue than from any sort of planning. :blush:

The cyano didn't really kick in till I got my PC's (2x36w). I got them at about week 5. I got the cleanup crew at about the same time. The cyano battle lasted for about 3 weeks. Would suck it out with a turkey baster or scoop it with a net. At this point (week 6) I was running a full photoperiod of about 10-12 hours.

At about week 8 I decided I was cycled and started adding a few corals. Got some 'shrooms and Xenia to celebrate. :)

I would try just scooping the cat hair and stuff out with your fish net.

thanks sammy....lets see - 10 gal tank, 3 lbs live rock (getting more soon) 20 lbs live sand - 5lbs crushed coral, 2 aquaglobe 200 powerheads, and a whisper power filter. ammonia is 0.25, not sure about nitrates and nitrites at the moment

Archived