Innovative Marine Aquariums

PH Question

CHIEF GR

I have a 45lt Nano with ~7 corals and 3 fish (2 clown & 1 6Line). The tank is running for a year now with weekly water changes and no skimmer with the following parameters:

SG: 1025

PH: 7.6

NH3: 0

NO2: 0

NO3: 20

KH: 8

PO4: 0

CA: 420

MG: 1020

ORP: 355

Temp: 27.5

The problem is that when i prepare my tap water (Soon to become R/O) i measure (Electronicaly and with a regular test) PH 8.1 when i add the water to the aquarium it becomes 7.9 and after 24 to 48h 7.6

I am using Read Sea Salt and Seachem Reef comlete, Alkalinity and Iodine supplements with every water change. The tank uses live rock and aragonite for substate.

Does anyone have any ideas why the PH drops like that when the water enters the Nano?

Thank you in adance.

Chief

HecticDialectics
I have a 45lt Nano with ~7 corals and 3 fish (2 clown & 1 6Line). The tank is running for a year now with weekly water changes and no skimmer with the following parameters:

SG: 1025

PH: 7.6

NH3: 0

NO2: 0

NO3: 20

KH: 8

PO4: 0

CA: 420

MG: 1020

ORP: 355

Temp: 27.5

The problem is that when i prepare my tap water (Soon to become R/O) i measure (Electronicaly and with a regular test) PH 8.1 when i add the water to the aquarium it becomes 7.9 and after 24 to 48h 7.6

I am using Read Sea Salt and Seachem Reef comlete, Alkalinity and Iodine supplements with every water change. The tank uses live rock and aragonite for substate.

Does anyone have any ideas why the PH drops like that when the water enters the Nano?

Thank you in adance.

Chief

Your water might be high in co2

reasons for low ph

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/chem.htm

• 2 weeks later...
As long as you Alk is maintained the low ph is due to co2. You should try opening windows in the room with the tank or airating the water more.

Here is a great article to help out...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

Yeah I read that same article, there are some smart ppl over there in Reefcentral. I dont even measure the pH of the newly made water, just the salinity, alkalinity and temperature. I keep the tank well aerated and open up the windows to get fresh air in and just monitor alkalinty, Ca and Mg. I am slowly learning the way of the Samurii!

Archived