Coral Vue Hydros

damn pistol shrimp

SLOreefer

so i buy this guys and now he is making his home in the back of the tank behind all my rock so i cant see him...any suggestions on how to get him to come where i want him to?

Pistol's are compulsive (instinctive) diggers. AFAIK, you can't stop them from digging where they want. My Pistol has created mountain/valley ranges all over my tank. It's actually pretty cool. It's doing aquascaping every night. I get to see a new landscape every morning.

It's like desert winds shaping sand dunes in your tank!

But you can try Pavlov's method. Feed him at the spot where you want him to hang out. I've trained my pistol to accept food from one tunnel mouth in the front of my tank. At meal time it will wait at the mouth and grab food from my chopsticks. I think it is acting on it's instinct of accepting food from a goby.

To really see it hang out big time, you probably need a goby to pair with it. Train the goby the same way.

Funny thing, my clown thinks the pistol is a cleaner shrimp, so it hangs out at the tunnel mouth. The pistol thinks the clown is a goby and it comes out a lot.

They are such a pair of clowns. :)

You can bulldoze the tunnel mouths that you don't want, but it will keep opening new ones. Make sure your LR won't fall over.

thanks i will try training him to the front...because as of ow i cant feed him at any of the tunnel opening because they are against the back glass. when i set up my tank i new i wanted a pistol so i made sure my rock was stable on the bottom before adding sand. thanks alot.

Yeah, perhaps its still shy. Mine was like that. Give it some time, it should get braver and usually cover most areas.

I notice that it likes to create tunnel openings directly under LR (so that it stays open). I wonder if you can put food baits near the foot of LR in the front of the tank so that it will create an opening there... you could experiment, or just wait for it to eventually get there.

ya i think i will try starting to bate my tank in the front....start out in the evening and then start doing it in the full day lights...only problem is i still have a damn rock crab in there and he is going to be trained for the food too untill i can catch him.

Archived