Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Start with my Eclipse6 or new 10g glass?

MrKrispy

Hi all,

I really enjoy the forum, I have been wanting to start a nano-reef for some time, just waiting for my last fish in my Eclipse System 6 to die (he's very old, no worries!). My question is this: would it be EASIER to start a nano-reef in my Eclipse System 6, or just buy a cheap-o glass 10g from Wal-Mart?

With the Eclipse I don't need a powerhead. With either I need to buy a lighting system, but I don't know if the Eclipse hood is more of a pain than its worth.

Thanks for your time everyone

That old fish, you can trade it in at your LFS. Fish are friends, not food. They have rights too! :) :) :)

Many people have eclipse 6 here, check out their tank specs and mods. IMO, I think the eclipse 6 is easier because you just need to replace the bulb with a $8 13W 50/50 PC, throw in a heater, and you are set. But it can also depend on:

1) Your budget. You're saving at least $60 with your existing eclipse investment. Also, a 6 vs a 10gal means if you go with the 10gal, you need to spend twice the money on LS, LR, SW, lighting, etc etc. Factor in regular water changes, it all add$$$ up quickly.

2) Your taste. IMO, the eclipse bow front looks much better than a flat boxy 10gal. However, the plastic tank is very very easily scratched by the LR and algae scraping.

3) What livestock you want. The eclipse can only hold a couple of very small fish. The 10gal a couple more, much more space for growth.

4) Maintaining a smaller tank is easier. Cleaning, changing water, etc.

I think both have good lighting options. IIRC, the $50 32W Smartlite retrofit can fit a eclipse 6, right?

From my experience, I would skip the Eclipse system and go straight for a glass rectangular setup. Acrylic scratches too easily.

Ofcourse since you already have the tank, you might just use it. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with glass and a custom made hood.

Archived