Pod Your Reef

Sideways setup????

JohnnyMTB

Hello everyone,

This site has been tremendously useful so far. I'm getting ready to setup a 10 gallon nano but would like to mount the equipment on the left side (the short side) of the tank instead of on the back. It's going on my breakfast bar and I want nice view from both the kitchen and the family room. Anyone have a setup like this?? I'd like to mound the LR up on the left side and gradually bring it down towards the right of the tank to create a ridge. I'll probably need to take a hammer to the live rock to get small enough pieces, but that should just equate to more surface area for the good bacteria to colonize.

If anyone has a setup like this I'd like to here about your results.

Thanks,

John

10g Perfecto

Aquaclear 150

1 mini jet

Soon to be 96w quad

I saw pics of a big tank that was set up like that on ReefCentral. It looked alright. Aquascaping was a bit boring though. Plus it seems like there would be too much room in the rocks for detritus and crap to collect.

I have also thought about doing what you're doing with a 20 long. In my opinion, you should get some flatter pieces of rock and stand them up in the middle so you can put coral on either side of them. Yes you will have less room between the rock and glass, but you will have 2 full sides of the tank for coral placement.

A problem you might run into is fitting your lights on top with the equipment hanging off the side.

What I was thinking of doing was tapering it from left to right, from above it would look like a "V", from the front a slope from left to right, I don't think I'd stack it all the way across the tank. I had thought about the detritus issue, but if I place a minijet behind the "V" and stack loosely i think it would take care of that. Would be nice if I could find some nice branching tonga.

Good thing is it'll be a new setup so if I'm not happy with the aquascape i can just move them into the traditional layout.

Archived