Pod Your Reef

pH fluctuation problem

SuDo

Hi everyone

The last 4 days i've been noticing massive pH fluctuation. In the morning before the lights go on the pH is at 7.95, as the day progress it slowly rises, at noon the pH is at around 8.25, at around 4:00pm the pH is rises to 8.44. What is going on? i can't figure out why its doing that. Tank was setup 15 days ago. I did an Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite test and everything measures zero or close to zero.

I was hoping for the pH to stabilize but this has been happening for 4 days straight. I want to add some cleaner shrimps and hermit crabs but i don't want to stress them if the pH moves like that.

Tank info:

25Gal (RO water) use IO salt

40lb Arag-alive fiji pink

10lb Fiji (pre-cured)

15lb Tonga (Pre-cured)

Temp 26.7 C

Sal 1.025

Lights turn on at 8:00am and shuts off at 5:00pm

TIA SuDo

So much for the buffering capacity of agaronite!!!!!

You might pick up some Super buffer dKh or other buffer additive.

Does your tank have alot of algae? That could be causing it.....:

i second the algae reason....7.95 is a little low though. do you use kalkwasser in your freshwater top-off? it is the ultimate buffer, but requires the most understanding for proper use.

Yeah

I think it might be the algea that i have in the tank. Picture attached below.

I'm still deciding whats the best way to use Kalkwasser. Since i'm not in my office during the nights and weekends, i want the system to be automated as much as possible. I was thinking of using a gravity based system from Kent marine call AquaDose Unit.

http://www.kentmarine.com/html/ad.html

Currently i'm just adding regular RO water to the tanks everyday at 4:00pm. (Heavy evaporation).

Should i add some hermit crabs and shrimps to take care of the algae? I think i'm still in the diatom boom stage. Check out the photes.

Thanks everyone

SuDo

hermits and snails definitely....for your coraline algae to take hold, there needs to be less competition coming from the algae. if you do not have corals yet, you might just want to use a standard buffer. kalkwasser will work more efficiently when you have enough corals that will use it.

photosynthesis during daylight hours consuming CO2 (acidic) raises pH from overnight lows created by respiration (which introduces CO2). day-night pH fluctuations are a normal part of aquarium keeping. some people try to employ reverse-photoperiod refugiums (lights on at night, off during day) to mellow out the fluctuations but there are plenty of successful reefs that mirror your pH swings. rest assured. you don't need/want to f- with buffers, k?

a few hermits and snails to keep the algae under control should be fine.

just go slow and assuming your nitrogen levels stay down give the cleaner shrimp a try.

tg

OK, don't panic. pH fluctuates throughout the day, getting lower as the lights are out. That's why you dose Kalkwasser at night (because it elevates pH). Saltwater stuff is used to a range of pH.

(as Twins Guy mentioned)

Take a deep breath and do some more reading!

V

Archived