Innovative Marine Aquariums

Upgrading from 2.5 gal Pico to 46 gal reef

gem4966

I started in SW with a 2.5 gal pico reef a little over a year ago. Well, I had this 46 gal acrylic tank sitting empty still in plastic wrap that I got at a garage sale a long time ago. I had originally planned to set up a planted FW tank with this, and convert my 55 gal to SW. But, the pieces feel into place to accomodate the 46 and I decided the 55 gal was just too narrow anyway.

So, here's where I am right now.

46 gal acrylic tank ($10 second hand but never used and still wrapped in original plastic)

10 gal sump ($50 used with the overflow box)

18 gal rubbermaid tub ($6.99)

bakpak 2 skimmer (Used and free. It was missing the lid for the collection cup and I boke the inlet tube so it ended up costing $20 to replace those. I'll need to also add an elbow to the outlet because that is missing as well)

30" CF coralife hood 2 x 65 watt 50/50 ($15 used at my lfs. WHAT A DEAL)

Continuous Syphon overflow box (came with sump)

Mag 5 return pump (new)

Rio 600 venturi pump runnning the skimmer (new)

2 Maxjet 1200 Powerheads (one will have an airline attached to the overflow to prevent syphon break) (new)

I've put all this together piece by piece as I ran across stuff. Not really looking. All in all I think I've done quite well pricewise. Now here is where it gets funny. I am still a beginner. I came here for help with my Pico and all of you were great. I learned quite a bit, considering I was taking a risk toward likely failure by having my first SW be a 2.5 gal tank. I was definately warned against it.

Now it's time to move up. So, any more help or suggestions you all can give would be greatly appreciated.

My equiptment is not neccesarily orthodox or expensive, and it's actually somewhat DIY and mickey moused. I have had some guidance and suggestions from someone I trust at my lfs. On that note, posting on another board I was told it'll never work properly. So, let's see what you all say.

The following couple posts will be a catch up in the planning......and then go from there.

The gathering and cleaning: (over a course of a few weeks)

The pics are the sump, overflow box, and skimmer as they were when I got them)

I used vinegar and water to clean, as best I could, the sump, overflow box, and skimmer. They were pretty yucky. I threw out the bioballs. I will be using the large chamber empty or to run carbon or whatever.

Here's the befor and after cleaning pics and a pic of the tank and light fixture.

post-24764-1202665833_thumb.jpg

post-24764-1202665846_thumb.jpg

post-24764-1202666130_thumb.jpg

post-24764-1202666154_thumb.jpg

post-24764-1202666166_thumb.jpg

The contemplations: Please excuse the drawings. I really suck at it....but this is the basic concept of how it should work. In the pic I have the skimmer hanging on the sump. It will actually be hanging on the tank.

post-24764-1202666842_thumb.jpg

So here we are to date. The sump was drilled and a 1 1/2" bulkhead installed. And elbow on that and straight pvc to one more elbow attached to the bottom end. I got all the plumbing and hoses put together in a non permanent manner just to test it. I set everything up in the backyard to avoid ruining my carpet incase of an oops. The configuration of the set up in the backyard is not how it will be set up in the house. This was only for testing purposes. The "stand" that is holding the tank in this pic is NOT what I will be using as a stand. Again....it was only for testing purposes.

After setting up and filling the tank, sump, and rubbermaid container to the levels I felt were good, I started everything up. Overflow box on the back to the tank set with the adjustment screws to the level I want the water at, maxjet 1200 with the airline attached to the overflow nipple, hose attached to the overflow outlet feeding to the 10 gal sump on the small chamber, hole drilled in the large chamber and plumbing attached to feed to the rubbermaid container.

Gentlemen....Start your engines!!!! OOOOOOOOPPPPPPPSSSSS! Not really sure how the overflow box was to start syphoning, (nobody truly explained this to me) I neglected to fill the opposite side with water to provide some suction help. Needless to say my tank filled quite quickly and I caught it just in time to stop the spill!!!! Common sense then took over and I poured water into the back side, plugged the return pump back in, held my breath, and crossed my fingers! Whalla!!! Success.....No overflowing...running really smooth, water flowing.

Originally I had tested just the sump and rubbermaid container witout the tank. I had the mag 5 feeding the water from the rubbermaid back to the sump before dragging the tank into the mix. My logic being...one thing at a time. The bulkhead made a bad flushing noise and I was concerned this wasn't going to work too well. But, once the tank was in the mix, the flow wasn't as fast and the flushing sound went away. So here's the pic of the system in action. You can't really see the water....You know...clear and all.....plus the tank is still wrapped in the plastic to avoid scratches. But...it worked!!!! For the test anyway. I added a pic of the front of the tank just to show how silly it looks on that "stand".

post-24764-1202667994_thumb.jpg

post-24764-1202668129_thumb.jpg

post-24764-1202668142_thumb.jpg

So, that's where I'm at now. The test was obviously water only. The rubbermaid container will hold a DSB and LR. I plan to try to figure out how to section off a chamber in the rubbermaid for the return pump so it's not among the LS and LR.....I haven't figured that dilema out yet....any suggestions on that issue are welcomed. And for that matter...by all means...suggest away! I have a coupe weeks before this is going up in the living room. Today I will be moving my 55 gal FW tank over to a new stand to make room for the 46. and I'll set the 46 up dry and post pics later today or tomorrow.

thats a nice ten dollar tank youve got

Thanks....actually....there was a 55 gal stand I wanted at that garage sale. They had a 55 gal tank on that with a bunch of light fixtures and basic garbage in it. They also had the brand new 46 gal acrylic sitting off to the side. I only wanted the stand, (the 55 tank had a chip in it) the 46 gal, and the flourescent fixture for the 46. It was a take all or nothing deal. She wanted $40 the the 46 gal and $40 for the 55 gal tank stand and equiptment inside the 55 gal tank. I jokingly said "I'll give you $10 for all of it". I can't tell you how fast I loaded in my car when she said "Deal! Get rid of it all!"

Bump

I probably should have put this under beginner. Anyone got input on my sump set up? Could use the input.

I am considering changing out the rubbermaid container for a 20 high AGA tank and dividing off a small chamber to house only the return pump with DSB and LR in the larger side.

Bump

I probably should have put this under beginner. Anyone got input on my sump set up? Could use the input.

I am considering changing out the rubbermaid container for a 20 high AGA tank and dividing off a small chamber to house only the return pump with DSB and LR in the larger side.

what are you using the rubbermaid bucket for? why dont you just do a sump/fuge combo in the small aquarium. If 10 G is too small for you just get a 20G, the bucket seems like it will be a problem to me at some point and seems redundant and unnecessary. It will also take up a lot of unnecesary space behind the tank/stand. Maybe your like me, always taking the complicated route :)

Rick....ok....maybe I am taking the complicated route. LOL It didn't seem so complicated when suggested to me. My reasoning is to do a DSB in the rubbermaid. Although, I am thinking that rubbermaid isn't a good idea as you said. I may go to a 20 gal AGA or acrylic tank if I can find one.

The 10 gal sump that I have isn't capable of a DSB. Yes, running it through 2 different containers seems like it takes alot of space, but I have that figured out. Do you think it will cause a problem? If so what?

Im just a noob but why not drill the tank it is acrylic. For one it should be easy and you wouldn't have to worry about a syphon break. Also you could have a pretty sweet setup as far as return lines and intakes if you wanted to get complicated.

But what a sweet deal you got and i can't wait to see how this tank turns out good luck i'll be tagging along.

Archived