Top Shelf Aquatics

Are my new clowns okay?

swordfish

I just put two tank-raised true percula clowns in my 7 gallon bowfront tank. They're each about 1.5 inches long and were at the pet store for 24 hours before I picked them up. They looked moderately active in the 30 gallong tank they came out of which they shared with at least twenty other guys (percula clowns as well) at the store. Now at home in my tank, they seem to have the habit of racing around constantly from one end to the other near the water surface as though they're nervous or something. Is this normal? Other than that they have been eating normally and they do tend to hang out together, but they're swimming so much they even once ran into each other. I just want to make sure this is normal or it's a kind of settling in behavior. I know clowns can do well in a nano tank and it is important to me that my fish lead as stress-free lives as I can give them.

Water parameters are normal. Their fins have some small nip marks on them which they came with from the store, but I am assuming that will heal rather quickly now that they're by themselves and not with others who may harass them. There are no corals in my tank as of yet but they are coming soon. I am assuming they will host one of them when it's put in there. There is plenty of LR for them to host in the mean time if they wish. I also have a realistic looking plastic piece of staghorn coral I can put in there in the mean time if that would help. Their normal behavior has been desribed to me as being mostly (but not entirely) staionary, as they frequently hang near whatever it is they choose to host.

I'd appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.

I'm thinking two perc's in a 7 gallon is a bit much. you realize that they can reach 4 inches and that's bassically 8 inches of fish in 7 gallons. I'm not surprised that they are running into each other.

other than that, while I don't yet have my perc just yet, I have read enough to know that they do strange things like host the water line at the top of the tank or host a power head. so this may be normal behavior. After all, they aren't called "clowns" for nothing.

When I first introduced my ocellaris clwn they pretty much did the samething as yours. They would swim back and forth tank really fast near the water line. I think they are adjusting to their new home. Nothing to worry about.

Archived