SaltCritters.com

"shaving impeller" on ac 110

derk dastardlee

derk dastardlee

i'm using a ac 110 as a refugium on my 20 gal long. and was wondering if i should clip whole fins off the impeller, or shave down each one evenly. any suggestions on what to put in there besides chaeto would be apreciated. thanks

chaeto loves high flow rate. micro algae doesnt like to be in low flow areas they get mushy.

for a 20g your going to need all the flow you can get.

I have an ac110 on a 10g. I use the fluval skimmer attached to my ac110 and it cuts the flow a bit. I grow mad ammounts of chaeto. You should check out my 10g in my sig. Ive got some pics of my setup.

I trimmed all mine down and guess what....it didn't slow down the flow at all. Quite depressed but now I like how it flows at full speed. Keep them intact and full speed ahead.

thanks. blastin' em' full bore.

I trimmed mine a little I run the baffle as close to the housing as I could with only glueing the bottom usijng the basket side for the baffle. I run a large bag of chemipure on top of the intake section and man it works perfect! Why dont they make a large hang on back with a suction type set up like the AC 500 ??

1. Flow will slow a bit naturally after it runs for a while.

2. Flow from a HOB can be high, but it's all directed at the same spot. Cons can outweigh the benefits here.

I shaved an AC500 for my old 5.5g and regretted it. I can't see the need to do so on a 20g long.

derk dastardlee

thanks for all the input. i'm not gonna shave it. everythings going pretty well in there as is. now i just need something for some alternating current.

Archived