Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

candy coral help

ELGORDOINAVW

ELGORDOINAVW

ok, i was at aquatic warehouse yesterday and saw a candy coral frag(small one) that looks healthy. now i want to know what the requirements are for keeping one. is it a easy one to care for or am i getting in head over heels? please help me and if you can post some pics of yours.

Candy Corals are easy to keep. They require moderate lighting. Just about any flour or PC that is better than the standard hood would work. No special feeding. Just don't let them touch anything else (either they or the other coral will get stung). They do put out short tentacles at night but NOT sweeper tentacles.

I find them to be one of the better first (beginner) corals for someone to get.

Here is a pic of mine. It was originally in my 58 gal under 250 watt MH. Now (in the pic) it is in my minibow under 2 x 28 watt 50/50's. Even after the move from MH to the PC's it's still kicking butt.

I got this frag around OCT of 2002. It was a lonely 2 polyp frag at a LFS that nobody wanted. Since then it has split into 8 polyps and keeps splitting as time goes on. One of my best corals I have in my Minibow.

Enjoy the Pic and hope this helped.

• 2 weeks later...

In that photo, it seems that the skeleton is showing which i s a bad sign in LPS corals.

I find them to be ok to keep when settled, they require medium light, with low flow. Make sure the tissue is healthy and it does better with feeding once in a while like most LPS.

hope this helps

anthony

• 4 weeks later...

I feed my candy live brine shrimp at least once a month afrer the lights go out & It grows like a weed.

Cheap feeding tool:

A large syringe (drill the hole out) glue a straw to it.

When the lights go out wait until the little feeding tentacles come out. (I turn the lights off early & wrap a tower around the tank for an hour). Using the large syringe (with the hole drilled larger & a straw glued on). Take a small cup of tank water & dump some brine in a cup & suck them up with the syringe. I gently blow brine shrimp over the top of the candy. Some will stick to the tentacles & slowly pull the brine shrimp in.

When live brine is not available I also us Prime Reef.

• 2 weeks later...

Trumpet/Candy cane are common names applied to this Genus. I believe there is at least 2 species. They are very similiar and require the same care. They can easily be fed when their feeding tenticles are extended. They will accept a variety of meaty frozen foods. Finely chopped pieces are preferred and easier for them to handle. The best method for feeding is to arrange gentle currents to carry the food into the waiting tenticles. To stimulate feeding you can soak frozen foods in a small bit of tank water. Use a pipette or baster direct some liquid across the oral disc. My preferred time for feeding it early morning either before or shortly after lights on. My theory on this is that by feeding at the beginning of the photoperiod allows the coral and zooxanthellae to work more effeciently with one another.

• 1 month later...

Thats a pretty big bristle worm in the background!

Anyways, my question is, do the Candy Canes produce the stalk for the polyp?

I just got a candy cane about a month ago, and its doing well so far. It was a little itty bitty polyp when I first got it, but it has probably already doubled in size. Where does the new stock come from, because it looks like mine is starting to split in half, but then again, I don't really know.

My candy cane just had a head split (ouch!) from an existing stalk.

BTW, the white stripes aren't usually skeleton showing, it is normal for many specimens to do that.

Post a pick Gordo!

Here's a page that explains the difference between Candy's and Trumpet's...link

btw, I have a Trumpet thats looks exactly like the one in c_k_kuehne's pic, but on mine I'm sure it is the skeleton showing (easy to tell its the skeleton since some polyps are dying from lack of light) but it is normal for them to have the stripes.

my trumpets and candy canes had the skeleton showing when i saved them from there previous homes and now that i have taken care of them they puff up big and fat like cotton candy... they will show there skeleton usually when unhappy.. like it falls in the sand and u dont see it for a couple days... LUCKILY.. if u have a msihap like that these little buggers love to live and easily repair themselves...

but i have a qustion myself on this coral.. i have had a three headed candy cane for around 9 months.. heads have never split... never... and i dose kalk and such.. still name change... why?

I target fed mine a few times and moved them to a spot with more light and they thrived. They open up veyr large now to the size of a quarter. I don't know if they split but several of the almost dead branches came back. Here is a more recent photo.

Here's a pic of some healthy trumpets, you should never see the coral skeleton on these. I've heard on candy canes the skeleton may show a little. Trumpet's polyp expands quite a bit covering all of the skeleton.

Archived