Innovative Marine Aquariums

July pics of 18Gal and 40Gal (big nano)

Cyber

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the compliments.

This is how it (18gal) started on Dec last year.

reef01.jpg

Da Specs:

Aiming for low cost and simplicity:

Light: 2x36W PC

Circulation: 1 powersweep (214)

Filtration: 1 Millenium 2000 (media replaced by phosban bag). This gives extra surface circulation too.

LR/LS: 20/20 pounds. 10 pounds of ultra fine sand on the bottom to promote bacteria and micro "animal" to grow (learned that from a handbook). Basically, less oxygen there so bacteria that de-nitrate (spelling?) will thrive, thus remove the nitrate faster, thus help the system overall. 10 pounds of agronite on top to keep the bottom ultra fine sand from getting blown away.

Skimmer: Red sea prism with surface skimming device. ON only 12hrs. Off when I go to bed, I cant handle the noise, :D

Live stock:

Corals:

Zoos (4-5 types), polyps (yelllow), mushroom (at least 4-5 types), gorgonians (2 types), Xenia (2 types), 1 Cup coral, 1 bubble coral, 1 metalic GSP, Ricordea (2 types),

Fish and invert:

1 Clarki, 1 cleaner, 1 Brittle star.

Notice there are very few snails and hermits.

Since I take monthly picture of my tanks, you can check the previous photos of the tanks at.

www.haivphan.com

Cyber

A very nice nano tank you have there. I notice there was a bit of cyanno present in the tnak in the old pic. How did you manage to get rid of it? Did it go away itself. Thanks. Nice tank, keep up the good work.

Hello,

Sahin - The cyanno was gone when the water was stable/mature (at first). It comes back occasionally but not on the sand. I also notice when ever the water got too much nutrient, the cyanno reappears again at those places where I last touch (may be the oil on my hands feed/seed them). I often put a turbo snail or magarita snail near them to clean it up. I used "Red Slime Remover" in the past and it was quite effective.

Cyber

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Here are my new additions and close up photos

Re-arranged (again)

20gal_7-21-01.jpg

Fungia (new addition, $29)

20gal_7-21-02.jpg

Bubble (new addition, $4)

20gal_7-21-03.jpg

Bunch of close up shots

20gal_7-21-04.jpg

20gal_7-21-05.jpg

20gal_7-21-06.jpg

20gal_7-21-07.jpg

Enjoy!!!!

Cyber

I doubt that your sand bed has nitrafication properties. I do think however that you probably have many little creatures aiding in consumtion of ditrious.

Great tanks

JJ

BTW is the power sweep still working? Do you have to clean is constantly to keep it working

Hello,

-jdsabin1: I'll try to snap some more photos. Hehe

-reefan: It's hard to tell if the sand has nitrafication properties or not. It's not something that I check and confirm. I built that 2 layers sandbed using common sense and general information that I collect here and there : , Besides, the bacteria that consume nitrate and stuff (I need to find out the exact words or this will confuse people) are too small to see anyhow. Hey, if it works the way I think it is, it's awesome B).

The powersweep is OK. It's not too great however, just make sure there is no algae floating around that may get caught in it. I've been having it for 3-4 months but I cleaned it only once. They get a bit noisy after a 2 months or so. I try not to turn it on and off all the time, even when I change water, I keep it running. It's very nice in a nano tank but for big tank, the flow rate is too low. I had to remove my 2x228 Powersweep because it too bulky and low performance in the big tank. Model 214 would be great for nano (compared of price and performance)

Cyber.

I know what you mean and if it works keep doing it. I was saying though that unless a plenum is involved I doubt that a sand bed that thickness has anaerobic zones. I know what you mean about checking if a sand bed has these properties,

Archived