Innovative Marine Aquariums

tank brace on ecplise 12

pcameron

got a new 96w powerquad unit and a new filter. the filter won't fit in the back of my tank unless i cut the brace that runs down the middle that the old filter sat on. would that cause any serious damage to my tank. or is it just to hold the filter?

Christopher Marks

Generally braces are placed for a structural reason. I would think that the plastic rim would still hold the tank up though, unless it's able to flex without the center brace.

I wouldn't do it, if it were me.

yeah bro. don't do it to risky imo. maybe you could carve on the hob istead? maybe cut a notch on the flange of of the return lip. (if that be what it's hanging on.)

Which filter did you get. I have an Aquaclear 150 and it fit perfect after I trimmed away a bit of the plastic on the back of the tank (not the brace).

I wouldn't trim the brace on the Eclipse 12. The hood might not fit after you cut out the brace. If you take off the rim with water in the tank, you will notice how the tank bulges out in the front and rear. When you add the brace, the tank must be pushed back into the brace. Without the brace, the tank wouldn't hold its shape, and the hood...well, I already said that. ;)

Archived