Coral Vue Hydros

Upgrading Tanks Steps - Your Help!

jdsabin1

Here are the steps I plan to take to move my current 12 gallon Eclipse to my new 20 gallon long AGA. I will number them so it's easy for you experts to respond to each one. I am just looking for advice, reassurance, things I've missed, etc.

Thanks all!

---------------

1) Siphon out 25ish% of my current tank's water into a bucket to help make the current tank lighter, prevent overflow, etc and carefully slide the tank away from it's current position (on a built-in desktop).

2) Remove corals from old tank and place into bucket(s).

3) Put new tank as close to it's new position as you can (where the old tank was essentially)

4) Add approximately 10ish gallons of new water (made the day before - aerated and heated to proper temp) to the new tank.

5) Add 20# of *NEW* live sand to the new tank

6) Put the water I siphoned from step #1 into new tank (tank now has around 13 gallons or so)

7) Add fuge sand and new water to AquaFuge at this point.

8: Add the new cured live rock (getting from Dr Mac) at this point, along with my old live rock from the old tank and do my aquascaping.

9) Remove more water from the old tank and remove livestock from the old tank (fish) placing all into a bucket

10) Remove Live Sand from old tank at this point (approx 1.5" high so NOT a DSB by any stretch) and put this into the new tank over the new live sand and around the live rock.

11) Move old tank completely off the desk

12) Slide new tank into place for it's final resting position (shouldn't have to go very far at this point)

13) Add corals

14) Add livestock

15) Use the rest of the old tank water to fill the new tank

16) Add some prime to deal with any small ammonia that may occur

17) turn on lights/pumps/Aquafuge, etc.

As a sidenote, I plan to use the medium (18") Aquafuge and put my heater in there, use my Auto-topoff switch and top-off water flow in there, and also placing a Lee's protein skimmer in the fuge as well. I also plan to use an Aquaclear HOB on the opposite corner of the tank for additional flow (and I can use that to run carbon and phosphate remover) that has an Aquaclear surface skimmer attached, along with an additional powerhead in the middle of the tank for flow as well.

Again, any help or advice from anyone, especially those who have been down this road is very much appreciated.

-Jeff

Yep...you're an IT guy. B)

You really sat down and whiteboarded this out, didn't you?;)

Sounds like a solid plan of attack to me.

I did the exact same thing about a month ago. Your 12G Eclipse is what inspired me to jump back into reefin in March. Then I got the bigger tank bug and living in a 2nd floor apartment I figured a 20H would be perfect.

Your plan looks really well thought out, wish I had done that. If you have a spare heater i would put it in the 20, around step 6, just to make sure the water temp doesn't drop too much during the move. You may already have thought this through and just not added it to the list.

The whole process took me about 5 hours, except I hadn't calculated for the sandstorm when I added another 25# of Aragonite. I had a 7G mini-bow too which held my livestock for the night while the sandstorm cleared.

Good luck and can't wait to see new pics!

Thanks Moose! Great to hear you're back in the reefing fold :).

I appreciate your suggestion too and hadn't thought of that. I will definitely use it in my conversion. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!

-Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if you had another mini cycle after you changed tanks? I plan on switching tanks, and going from CC substrate to sand. I won't be using live sand. I have about 20lbs LR and i'm considering the 20g AGA as well.

I promise, I am not trying to copy you! It seems like it though. ;)

Originally posted by koolaid

I was wondering if you had another mini cycle after you changed tanks?  I plan on switching tanks, and going from CC substrate to sand.  I won't be using live sand.  I have about 20lbs LR and i'm considering the 20g AGA as well.

I promise, I am not trying to copy you!  It seems like it though. ;)

Ah hell copy away! I think it's great! :)

I didn't have any mini-cycle to speak of when I transitioned. If you are changing substrate though, and going from cc to sand that isn't live, that's another story altogether and I have to assume you will see another cycle, albeit not as big as your first go-round (anyone else agree with me?).

The 20 gallon long is a perfect nano IMO. It's got great surface area and is shallow enough for nearly any coral to thrive with even modest light.

Any other questions just ask!

It would make sense that I would go through another cycle with the new tank if I changed the substrate. What I am going for is a mild DSB with white sand. I really dig the look of white sand. I like the contrast it gives everything else in the tank.

Anyhow, what should I do? I am really trying not to purchase 2 of everything (heaters, powerheads, etc) but it looks like I am going to have to.

What should I do here? It sounds like I should go ahead and get the larger tank, let it cycle, then add the livestock and corals to the new tank. The only problem there is that I need LR to cycle with. Could I take the LR out of my tank, add it to the new tank, and leave the corals and fish in the old tank with no LR? ???

DANGIT! I am gonna have to upgrade from my minibow to this tank now. I told myself I would not do it unless they made a cherry stand for this size tank, thinking they wouldnt, and THEY DO! So if I get a job at the LFS, ill get it before Christmas!

Hmmm, do you have access to an LFS that would let you snag a cup or so of their LS from an established tank? If you do, that may be your best bet. In other words, put the established LS behind your already established LR in your new tank, put in your new sand and between you using your established LR, as much of your old water that you can get in the new tank, and with a dose of Prime after you have everything transitioned, you may be okay. The LS is going to kick your new sand into gear fairly quickly.

Keep a close eye on your levels and it's possible you may be doing some water changes every other day or so until it levels out.

We need more people to add their opinions here but I think this is doable without you having to spend money for two of everything.

*BUMP* Come on everyone, opinions please.

Plan was a 10 and no corals to reacclimate. Really smooth actually (make sure you keep the corals at the proper temp and you have flow across them during the transition). When I placed them in the new tank from their holding tank they opened up immediately and I was off and running.

Well, I went and looked at the 20L tonight. That is larger than I thought! It is also very heavy. Upon futher scientific experiments, many lost hours of sleep, and massive amounts of caffeine, I decided to just keep my Eclipse 12 and replace the CC with sand.

Anyhow, this is a good guide for anyone that is looking to upgrade tanks, or switch tanks.

Thanks for the help again! I'll have to get some photos of my 12g up so I can show off.

Okay, I went ahead and changed from CC to LS last night. What a mess! I only suffered a few scratches on the acrylic this time.

What is Prime? I didn't see it at the LFS. Do you have a link to a photo of the bottle, or something similar? Also, since I added LS instead of straight silica, should I be okay? I went from about 15lbs. or CC to I'd say 18-19lbs LS.

I am doing my change today. I went to the lfs to get some prime for my new rock, but they didnt have it. I went to Petco and there is was 9 bucks for a 250ml bottle. I only needed the 100 but they didnt have it. I got it just to be safe =(.

Everything is great with my tank. Nitrates were high at first when I changed the substrate, but now things are back to normal.

The only thing I have witnesses from changing the substrate was the torch coral sliming one time. Since then it has been doing well. I like the sand much better!

Man, my tank yesterday was solid white from the silt in the sand. This morning it was clear enough to see, so I mixed a bucket of sw up to take the rocks out *slowly* and rinse them of the silt that settled on them. Got them all out and now my tank is a freekin mess again.

I put the rocks in a styro box, and covered them with a towel soaked in sw I hope there safe out of the tank for a couple hours like this until it settles again. Cant aquascape if I cant see =(.

Archived