Cultivated Reef

F%$#! I Killed My Fish!

harbingerofthefish

harbingerofthefish

Well, a few days away from posting pics of my DIY overflow, and disaster strikes. I went in to the kitchen and saw my fish standing still in my tank. I yelled to my GF to come grab the hood as I tried to get him out of the overflow box. When I got the box dissassembled, his body fell lifelessly to the rocks. He had gotten wedged between the wall of the overflow and the PH and it apears that the PH sucked all the air out of him.

shroomfish.jpg

harbingerofthefish

EdgeKrusher-

it was a sunrise dottyback. Psudochromis Flavavertix

The worst part of the whole thing was not only was this the fish I wanted from pretty much the start of my tank, but that the way he went, was solely due to a misjudgement on my part.

I got home today and actually looked for him like usual.

my condolences. that has happened to me about 6 times with my old saltwater tanks. the reverse flow intake on the Hagen powerheads is very badly designed.....and unfortunately my scared fish always decided to hide between the PH and back wall. my solution was to place that black brillo looking floss stuff in front of the filter and sub-pump intakes.

Thanks for letting us know about the issue. I know it's little consolation but posting about the problem may have saved the lives of a few other little fishies. I'm off to check my overflow box.

Where is South Bama, by the way?

Sorry about your fish harb,

Reading that post made me look into the dottyback, great looking fish.

I too have that tank and was wondering if I could keep that fish as well. Would be the only fish of course.

Any advice on keeping it would be appreciated.

-chris

harbingerofthefish

fishbabies -

It was realy a mis calculation on my part. The HOB overflow I made hung into the tank. So the fish got sucked down and pinned next to the PH. A simple lid w/ multiple holes would have accomplished what I wanted with out the carnage.

Pikelet-

south bama is Fairhope, just the other side of the bay from Mobile.

ChrisL-

Being how it was my first and only SW fish, I couldn't say myself an expert on dottybacks. Being the only fish in the tank, he came out and swam around a lot more than I have seen other dottys.

I fed him formula one everyother day or so. That's about it. He didn't mess with any of my inverts.

A good thing about them is they are raised by ORA, and so pretty healthy. This one was actually in the LFS tank for a month or so and nobody got him. Every weekend I would go in and look at him. I got to observe him a lot before purchase which I liked.

Archived