ReefCleaners.org

What do you guys feed your Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp?

Billdemart

I have been feeding mine and my perc freeze dried brine and they seem to love it, neither will eat marine flakes. I know they eat food off the bottom but do you guys see yours come out and eat?

Mine will come out and swim upside down trying to take it off the top. It looks cool, but im not sure he's getting as much as he needs.

What else do you guys feed yours?

Thanks,

Bill

Brine are next to worthless as a staple food....try something like mysis or Formula 1...both great frozen foods. I've never been a big fan of feeding anything flake or dried to my tank...something unholy and unnatural about it..lol. Most shrimp/crabs will gobble up scraps of Formula 1 that drop to the sandbed or get stuck up on rocks...mine always have.

HTH...

Have you tried the frozen seafood mix (shrimp, squid, shellfish) from your grocery store? $2 for half a pound will last you months and months. Plus its got variety.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will check out Mysis and Formula 1.

Chang, the frozen seafood mix at the grocery store? Not sure how to ask for that? What is it made for?

Thanks,

Bill

Originally posted by Mnesarchus

Shrimp, Scallops, Krill and Fish

Frozen all from the fish store?

Hey guys, coolest thing. I was just flipping an overturned snail and the Cleaner Shrimp came out and crawled on my hand and started cleaning it. Totally cool.

The frozen seafood mix probably has different names at different stores. The store I went called it the "seafood medley".

Just go to the fish department's glass counter and if they have it, you will see it. It's sold by the pound, like the rest of the shrimp, fish, squid, etc you see there. Just get 1/2 or 1/4 of a pound.

You make DIY frozen food cubes with it. Mix RO/DI, seafood, seaweed, commercial fish food, etc etc, in a food processor. Scramble and freeze it.

Oh man, sorry to hear that! :*(

How did you acclimate him? What else is in your tank? How long has it been up? What are your water parameters?

Bill

30 minutes floating....1.5 hours drip bucket. Crabs, clown, params are clean all 0. Set up sunce April

He had a broken leg I think, and a crab might have nailed him. Cuz when I came home there was one knawing on him right where he was when I left. I think I am gonna get another, cuz that are just so cool

Sounds like you acclimated it better than I did mine. I just do it like I do all my fish and inverts. 30 minutes in the bag, then every 15 minutes add small amounts of tank water to the bag until you get it close to the real tank water parameters.

The drip thing sounds like a great way to do that....

Archived