ReefCleaners.org

Trying to choose a tank size?!?!

johnsmb

I am getting sooooo frustrated! I have been researching for weeks, but I keep changing what size tank I want to do. Here is my dilema, I picked up a nice pine stand at the thrift store for $10, it is a 24" stand. So, I was just planning on getting a 20H gallon. But, I haven't even started yet, and I am already concerned about a 20 being too small. So, another option is to get a 25 gallon. But, I know a 25 is pretty deep - it is 20" deep. A vertical tank like this might be hard to set up the live rock and also difficult for light to reach the bottom. However, the advantage is that it gives me 5 more gallons of water.

Ok, then I am playing with the idea of not using the 24" stand that I have and instead get a 29, 30 or 38 gallon tank. I LOVE the 38 gallon size. However, any of these sizes are greatly going to increase the initial start-up cost.

If I did the bigger tank, first off I would need a stand. Then the tank and the lights and additional powerhead will all cost more. But, the greatest expense that will skyrocket with a bigger tank will be the liverock and the sand.

Frankly, I just don't think I can afford the expense of a bigger tank, so that puts me back to a 20H or a 25 which I can afford, but I think it will be too small. I am wanting to keep a few hardy, low light corals (mushrooms, polyps), snails, shrimp and fish. Mainly I am worried about running out of room for fish in a 20. I have a wish list: clown and royal gramma for sure. At least one goby or blenny, maybe a firefish and maybe a yellow tang if I got a bigger tank.

Ok, I am not sure I asked a question here :) Mainly, I just want some input over how to proceed and how to decide. I cannot start buying equipment until I decide on a size. But, I'm afraid finances will force me to set up a 20 or 25. Any comments? Thanks for listening to my ramblings :)

Can you fit a 26 gallon bowfront on the stand? Those are cool and aren't very expensive. Even with a 26, expect to spend some money on this hobby. You can save some here and there but it definitely isn't a low cost hobby. HTH,

Scott

Initial start up cost is going to be expensive no matter what. So if you already want a bigger tank than a 20, I think you should save up more and buy the biggest tank you think you would like.

the 40g breeder tank is a really great size, and one MH light would give awsome results for the same price as multiple PCs.

Many people will probably disagree about a big tank, since this is a nano reef site. But , it soulds like you already know what you want.

I have a 10 gallon tank that I love. I put it on my nightstand and moved it to the end of a couch in the den.

The tank was $8.99 at Petco.

Everything else so far has cost me 691 dollars.

Go with the biggest tank you can afford to do "right". Or..more appropriately still..go with the biggest tank you can afford to do right after saving for a few months and that will then allow you to keep all of the livestock you want...lol. Also..you seem more "dead set" on the fish end of the livestock you're going to keep than the inverts..so you may want to consider setting up a FOWLR tank instead...just an idea..but with the angle you took on your post..it sounds like you may eventually want to lean this way.

HTH..

5 tips to reef success

1) Save up money

2) Buy a 75gal.

3) BUILD a stand

4) Buy LR, aragonite, and lighting after completing step 1

5) Smile:happy:

Sounds like you wanna go big but money's standing in your way...(If you wanted a Nano you probably wouldn't even be mentioning 25+ gallons) If you're scared of costs, get outa this hobby right now...it's expensive no matter what! Up front costs are obviously exponentially higher the larger the tank you go, but you'd be amazed after that! After the tank, LR, lighting, and inhabitants are purchased, maintaining it is hardly much more expensive than say a 20gal. Do yourself a favor...get true satisfaction out of your plans and do it right the first time. Get what you WANT, not what you can afford today. Even if it takes you another few months to save up, you'll be a lot more happy in the end...a successful reef tank will be sitting in you home for years, and years, and years. It sucks to always look at it and think 'why didn't I just go bigger?!' I'm not saying you need to go with a 125+... they're crazy expensive!! But maybe you should consider on at least holding out for a 55-75gallon;) Their easier to keep anyways(A LOT more stable environments)

HTH!

~Joel

The single most reason I love my nano better than the 55 gallon tank I had is WATER CHANGES.

It is such a pain in the rear to do water changes on a big salt tank, but such a breeze on a 10 gallon.

Life is so much better, at least for me, with a small tank.

Bill

i'm with you bill.

i'm on my 3rd tank.

and its so much funner when it's small.

but having the big tank first helps you appreciate the benefits of the little tank.....

all I'm trying to say is that I think he should to get what he WANTS... not what he can afford at this very second. It just seemed to me that he was hintin around about getting a big tank, just doesn't have the money...that's all.

Archived