Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

API reef master test kit instructions

mmelnick

I have the API reef master test kit but I have lost the instructions. All I have are the 2 plastic cards for comparing the nitrate and phosphate tests. Does anybody know where I can download the instructions. I have looked but only find kits for sale.

Thanks,

Marc

I have the API reef master test kit but I have lost the instructions. All I have are the 2 plastic cards for comparing the nitrate and phosphate tests. Does anybody know where I can download the instructions. I have looked but only find kits for sale.

Thanks,

Marc

Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow but I'm sure someone will hook you up before then. If not let me know.

usssturgeon187

i can pm them to you when i get home . i just got one on monday marine depot ! dont get off work for another 5 hours !so it will be a while .

Thanks,

Marc

how it in the name of davy jonses locker did you lose the instrutions??? im getting one today from marine depot and when i get it ill pm the instructions to you...i should be getting it by 1 so...yea...

Thanks,

Marc

it might be on back or the cards they are on mine

Its a counting drops thing...

Calcium:

5ml - 10 drops bottle 1 - Shake bottle - Count drops of bottle 2 until dark purple/blue.

1 drop - 20 mg/L

2 drops - 40

3 - 60

4 - 80

5 - 100

6 - 120

26 - 520

Basically drops x 20

Normal range - 400 - 500

KH

5 ml - add solution drop by drop - complete with change from pale blue to pale yellow

Number of drops = degrees dKH

1 - 17.9

2 - 35.8

3 - 53.7

4 - 71.6

5 - 89.5

6 - 107.4

7 - 125.3

8 - 143.2

9 - 161.1

10 - 179

11 - 196.9

12 - 214.8

Normal range between 8 and 12

HTH Lx

usssturgeon187

l34nn3 are you shure you have the same kit ? i just tested with mine last night & its was nothing like that . it was more like 5 drops shake & wait 5min . there are 4 tests included amonia nirate nirite & ph. all with there own specific instructions .

The ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH (and phospate in the reef one) are on the cards. The reef ones are the only ones that aren't - i.e the KH and Calcium.

Thanks for the quick reply everyone.

And a big thank you to L34NN3. That helps a lot. Does anyone know how many drops to put in for the nitrate and phosphate tests?

l34nn3 are you shure you have the same kit ? i just tested with mine last night & its was nothing like that . it was more like 5 drops shake & wait 5min . there are 4 tests included amonia nirate nirite & ph. all with there own specific instructions .

That is a different test kit than the one I have.

10 drops for Nitrate.

Thanks Rocket. Is it also 10 drops for phosphate?

how it in the name of davy jonses locker did you lose the instrutions???

I'll just blame it on my wife. :P

I have both (and surprisingly have also lost the instructions for the reef one, but that's ok, because KH & CA are titrations, and easy to do, and the other two (NO3 and phosphate are colormetric, with the cards).

API Saltwater kit:

- ammonia : 8 drops #1, 8 drops #2, shake, read in 5 minutes. colormetric against the card. (easy).

- nitrite: 5 drops , read in 5 minutes, colormetric against card (really easy).

- nitrate: 10 drops #1, shake, 10 drops #2, shake, 5 minuted to develop, colormetric against card (doesn't distinguish well.. top of scale is 100ppm ... that would be deadly in a reef).

- pH : 5 drops , colormetric, read against card.

API Reef kit

- nitrate (same as nitrate above).

- phosphate: 10 drops #1, shake, 10 drops #2 (very thick), shake, develop 3 minutes, read against card. (very hard to distinguish test).

- KH, 1 drop shake, 1 drop shake. Repeat counting drops until vial changes suddenly from dark blue to yellowish/green. (will be sudden) 1 drop = 1 dKh. Norms 8-11.

- Calcium: 10 drops #1 shake. Then add #2 one drop at a time until color changes from a pinkish to dark blue color. Again, end point is a pretty dramatic change. Each drop of #2 = 20 ppm of calcium.

I have both (and surprisingly have also lost the instructions for the reef one, but that's ok, because KH & CA are titrations, and easy to do, and the other two (NO3 and phosphate are colormetric, with the cards).

API Saltwater kit:

- ammonia : 8 drops #1, 8 drops #2, shake, read in 5 minutes. colormetric against the card. (easy).

- nitrite: 5 drops , read in 5 minutes, colormetric against card (really easy).

- nitrate: 10 drops #1, shake, 10 drops #2, shake, 5 minuted to develop, colormetric against card (doesn't distinguish well.. top of scale is 100ppm ... that would be deadly in a reef).

- pH : 5 drops , colormetric, read against card.

API Reef kit

- nitrate (same as nitrate above).

- phosphate: 10 drops #1, shake, 10 drops #2 (very thick), shake, develop 3 minutes, read against card. (very hard to distinguish test).

- KH, 1 drop shake, 1 drop shake. Repeat counting drops until vial changes suddenly from dark blue to yellowish/green. (will be sudden) 1 drop = 1 dKh. Norms 8-11.

- Calcium: 10 drops #1 shake. Then add #2 one drop at a time until color changes from a pinkish to dark blue color. Again, end point is a pretty dramatic change. Each drop of #2 = 20 ppm of calcium.

Thanks Benjad (and everyone else for that matter). I was just hoping that someone could tell me where to find it but this works out better.

• 2 years later...
NotAPiscivore
Also, just as a note, any test that matches with a card has the instructions on the back of the card.

Like me... I also found a link to the color cards that you can print... I lost my ph card.

API color cards

right click on the image 'save image as' then print

NotAPiscivore

For some reason the API instructions on the website that I posted have 3 drops instead of 5 for pH. Can someone confirm which is the most up to date... I have a new Reef Master Kit.

Thanks.

Archived