Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sand anyone?

Flipturn88

Yay! I've made some serious progress in my now "soon to be" tank--I know pretty much what I am going to get, and I just got some sweet ca$h. But I still am unsure about a few things:

I am going to get a protein skimmer because I plan on having a fair amount of fish later on, and since I am a newbie I think I need the extra help (but I will still do weekly/biweekly water changes). Anyways, I'm considering the Red Sea Prizim Protein Skimmer... I haven't heard of any problems with them yet, and they are pretty cheap: http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ps_rspho_info.asp?CartId=.

Also, I'm kinda unsure about where to get the sand... I think I want dead because I'm getting enough LR to compensate (about 40-45 lbs for a 29-gal). Does anyone know where a good place for sand online? Thanks again... as always ;)

~Kayla

Crakeur- what exactly is "southdown", is it a brand of sand or something commercial you can grab at Home Depot?

The FAQ to end all FAQs ... "What's up with Southdown?"

Here is a long link, but basically, go to reefcentral.com, discussions, beginners, thread "read this first" and the link is there.

Basically it is sand packaged by a company that USED TO BE CALLED "Southdown", but got bought out. Maybe still the same name for their product, which is "Southdown Tropical Play Sand". Apparently, it is the Holy Grail. Aragonite, 6 bucks for 50 pounds or something like that. Sold as play sand for kid's sand boxes. BUT only available at Home Depots in the North Eastern United States.

People have random luck getting local HDs to ship it to their stores (massive shipping costs). Some online stores sell it too, but the shipping on 50 POUNDS of sand can be so expensive that it is not worth it... On the other hand, if you are buying sand online anyway....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...about+Southdown

V

PS. Hopefully you were not being facetious!

harbingerofthefish

there is also a sand sold at WalMarts called "old castle"(?) that is calcium based.

you can always take a little bottle or something with some vinegar in it, to your local lowes/HD/walmart/freds/nursery and put a little sand in the bottle. If it fizzes it's calcium based.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by harbingerofthefish

there is also a sand sold at WalMarts called "old castle"(?) that is calcium based.

you can always take a little bottle or something with some vinegar in it, to your local lowes/HD/walmart/freds/nursery and put a little sand in the bottle.  If it fizzes it's calcium based.

Sorry if it this sounds dumb, but are you saying that it is "GOOD" to get this calcium base?

and.. Wow regular playsand from HD will work? I guess it does. But the tropical play sand sounds good to me.

Archived