Innovative Marine Aquariums

Glass or acrylic??

Scooter

Which one would be better served for my nano reef..Glass or Acrylic..

Is acrylic really clearer then glass? Is Acrylic easy to clean withouth scratching it?

I've only had glass aquariums so im just wondering if acrylic would be better suited for this.

thanks

fishbabies

if you keep up with maintainance of algea or calcium buildup on the sides of the tank....you should be fine with acrylic. as deposits build up, they may become hard AND harder to remove. Most scratches on the inside of the tank do not show.....but if long-standing deposits roll off into the sponge or scraper, they can cause deep scratches while you are wiping the inside. get a chamois for the outside of the tank. there is an incredible difference between clarity of glass and acrylic.....mostly in distortion rather than transparency. some nano-critters (polyps mostly ) are so small, that you will find your nose an inch from the tank observing your corals and livestock. that is where acrylic is superior. i have a glass aquarium and when i get really close, i notice the weird distorting affect of the glass. look out a window with your eyes close to the glass and you will see what i mean. now imagine your eyes trying to focus on a miniscule polyp. i have a glass tank......but i just deal. glass can scratch too, but you do have to be more careful with acrylic.

Thanks for your knowledge fishbabies...

I think i shall be going with acrylic. Now i just have to figure out what lighting set up to use....anyone got an asprin for me :)

Archived