Pod Your Reef

palmettoreefs.com

Crakeur

well, I finally placed a couple of livestock orders and palmetto reefs got first dibs. I placed my order and couldn't get the add to cart tab to work on one item so I emailed darren and told him to add the one item. He emailed me back telling me the frogspawn I wanted was gone so he would add the frag and another frog, one branch not two, to the order for the same price. Worked for me.

The order arrived today and, since I had placed it last week and requested Wed. delivery I kinda forgot about what I ordered. I open the box, all well packed and lots of goodies.

Acclimate away and start inspecting the bags. Three different ricordia rocks, I thought I ordered one. A montipora cap frag that I knew I didn't order and everything else, as requested. I get everything in the tank and manage to lose only a couple of shroom polyps and one ricordia polyp to the current. Head out to catch the met game at shea and upon my return, check emails to find that Darren had emailed me about the changes. He didn't have the ricordia I wanted so I got different ones, plus a bonus rock. He tossed in the monti frag, which he says is of the green with purple rim variety, as a make up for the ric problem. He then asked if that was ok.

More than ok. I have a couple of different color morph rics, lots of goodies and everything looks awesome.

Check out www.palmettoreefs.com - great site, great prices, darren's one of the few online operators that actaully gives you what you want, and then some, and no hassles.

My one problem? I wanted to snag some x-mas tree/porites rock and he used to always have it on the site and now he doesn't. Guess I'll be heading back every so often to try and snag some.

Pictures will be posted in the member tank section once the frags have all settled into their new home.

Crak-

How does the price compare to buying local? I am just curious because I notice a lot of places on the net charge pretty hefty shipping.

Do you have to order a significant amount of livestock to make it worthwhile? ???

shipping is a ***** in most cases online but I usually (forgot this time) give them my shipping account and beat any mark-up.

as for how the prices compare vs. local. No contest. The only quality local store in NYC is a huge rip off. Oddly, there is but one real fish store and a bunch of petlands and petcos. I would have to leave the city to get anything decent for the tank and even then, the selection isn't that great.

I got a decent amount of livestock and the total price was probably about equal to what I'd pay locally, if they had the same stuff.

The best part about this whole internet thing is that you can shop until you find the store that has everything that you want. Shop locally and you get a piece here, a piece there.

If you want to order from an online store and want to save on shipping, find some other local folks that want to piggyback the order and you split the shipping.

Ok gotta say that darren is one kickass kinda guy. He is a member of my frag club and I cant wait to go she his place. I am actually gonna be ordering some rics soon. Good posting crak

Archived