SaltCritters.com

Sally LightFoot - Lost Limbs

Quincyman

Ok something really weaird happend in my tank the other day . I had just noticed how pretty my Sally Light had become after a molt. Color was very vivid. I turned my lights off as normal went to sleep the next day when I got home from work I agin went to look for the crab as found it on top of a live rock with only THRE legs left. Both front claws as well as some of the sides legs were gone. I figuered what the hell I will do an early water change so I could get out the body parts. To my shock there was no sign of the crabs missing parts anywhere. I know for a fact I do not have a mantis shrimp in my tank. I do however have an Tube anemone. Is it possible that during the night the crab was doing its cleaning duties and ran into the anemone. And as result from the stings shed those parts off. I have read a couple sites about these animals and a few said they are capable of eating a crab???

STUMPED

fishbabies

my coral banded shrimp thought it would hide around the intake of the power filter during its weak stage right after molting. WRONG!!! normally i think the shrimp would have gotten away....but either the shrimp abaondoned his claw and a couple antennea, or they were pulled off. the impeller took care of the dismembered parts.

strangely though.....previous to the accident, my shrimp was shy....now he's all over the place. Maybe it's like when people who come very close to death decide to take up skydiving and snowboarding......fearless....

I don't have an answer, but I guess the crab is not so light on it's feet anymore. Anenomes can be aggressive, but it seems unlikley.

Archived