inTank Media Baskets

Can't stabilize my Alk.. ( been5 days into dosing )

The Propagator

The Propagator

Would low Magnesium cause my Alkalinity to drop an even after dosing Alkalinity buffer? ?

I haven't tested for it because I don't have the test kit but I'll get one tomorrow (Sunday)

Would low Magnesium cause my Alkalinity to drop an even after dosing Alkalinity buffer? ?

I haven't tested for it because I don't have the test kit but I'll get one tomorrow (Sunday)

I ran my tank with low Mg for 3mos without knowing it, since I didn't have a tester. During that period, I had to dose TWICE as much SeaChem Reef Carbonate (alk) as I do now. I'd say Mg may definitely have something to do with it. Try the Elos kit. Easy to read.

The Propagator

Well I just read this and I think I found my answer:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php

I think my low Alkalinity may be due to the massive water change I performed during the tank crash last Monday morning. I changed roughly 45 gallons in a 100 gallon tank. The possibility of lowering the Alkalinity never entered my mind honestly. I guess I will just have to keep dosing buffer until it stabilizes. Which can be up to a month I think. I figured it would already be stabilize because of the massive water change ( IE new salt mix having the proper balance already present). NOPE.

As it turns out ( If I am interpreting that article correctly ) that what may have happened was the nitrogen cycle was interrupted through partial completion causing the the Alkalinity to drop but not my PH or calcium.

Also I added Prime to the new make up water. It chemically neutralizes nitrites, nitrates and ammonia.

I think the massive water change, and the addition of the Prime is what caused my now out of whack Alkalinity..

Now.. lets assume you were talking to a bone head. ( which you are ! )

Tell me if I interpreted that article correctly.

Thanks!

D

• 3 weeks later...
The Propagator

The tank has stabilized. :)

It leveled off almost two weeks ago shortly after I posted last in this thread.

Soooo as a little reminder

DO NOT DO MASSIVE WATER CHANGES LOL!

( unless its an emergency )

Im suprised you dont have a cal reactor prop. glad to here your tank is back to normal. I know mg and alk play hand in hand. I thought higher mg would cause lower alk

Archived