Top Shelf Aquatics

Calcium

ReeFur

its on its way but will any coral die?i accidently put in top off water that contains calcium into the tank instead of RO water

i dose powdered calcium but my test has run out..what are the effects of overdosing calcium?

The danger in overdosing calcium is your alkalinity rises as well. Check your alkalinity(carbonate hardness) and make sure it doesnt get too high (above 14 dkh).

never ever tested for ALK my LFS usually does it for me,,what are the effects of ALK rising?

tip burn, buy a alk kit $12 at reef geek

any more input?

Reefur, Might be a old subject now since you would have recieved the calcium kit by now. But I have run my 135 as high as 600ppm on calcium and way over 14dkh. Just experminting. Let me tell you at those levels the coraline algae will grow like crazy. The key is that you get there slowly. I doubt adding the top off water with some additional calcium will hurt anything it would take a pretty good amount at one dose to kill something, not saying it can't be done. The biggest concern about dosing calcium is the caustic effect it has when it is initially added to the system once it is blended if is less app to be a problem.

Although this isn't your concern, keep in mind Calcium, Alkalinty and magnesium all work together to keep each in balance. You really should have a alk and mag test kit. Normally if the calcium is staying put and your pH is holdinga around 8.0 - 8.4 then eveything is probalbly running smooth. But pH is not always a good indicator of your alk levels. Yes you can have calcium fall out if you dose to much calcium, This is because there is to much calcium in the system and not enough Alk and Mag to hold it in suspension. The end result is a snow storm in the tank.

The Propagator
Death and death only :)

Half truth. ;)

Calcium will begin to precipitate in a snow like fashion when it has reached total saturation with in the water colum. But that takes a CHIT LOAD of calcium.

Your Alkalinity may suffer and PH from high calcium. BUT as long as you arent seeing precipitation you will likey only see some disoloration and or bleaching if your alk is low and PH is high or low. ( with in reason that is)

Now if it is left that way for say.. a week or more, or it is way out of wack... you will likely see melting polyps, and or tissue loss followed by death.

but thats not that common as thing to happen.

Archived