Innovative Marine Aquariums

fish growth

Simbo18

My LFS here has a 180 gal. tank. They also have a seabae clown like me but mine is in a 38 gal. tank. Only their clown is more than 5 times the size of mine (not in lenght but total volume). It's crazy!!! LOL, I bet my seabae is close to the size to be eaten alive by the clown in the 180. So are there some fish that grow to the size of the tank their in and others that don't??

Luke

maroonclown

Your LFS probably has a sebae that was caught at that size. It takes several years for clowns to get that large. It has nothing to do with tank size. Sharks are a perfect example, because the don't grow to fit their tanks. They will grow to any length between 18" to 4' or 5' feet, regardless of tanks size. Hope this helps.

Their clown is 7 years old. But what I'm trying to get at is could I be able to have a rather large fish breed and then put it into a nano without any ill effects?? For example a tang (not that it would ever breed) but if you were to put it into a 10 gal. tank when it's around 2 cms long would it stay small enough to have plenty of swimming room?? Just something I was thinking about.

Luke

maroonclown

No, it's not very possible, but you could try it. I'd do a few things including reducing the temperature to about 74 degrees, because colder water reduces the fish's metabolism, and limit feeding. That is all I can think of to try.

just get a critter that's nano sized. think about homw you would feel being stuck in a box just barely big enough to turn around in. not lets move you to your say living room. little more happy there aren't you? i rest my case.

Archived