Pod Your Reef

Goth Clownfish?

Steve-Ward.net

Steve-Ward.net

I'm pretty new to nano-reefs and especially this board, but after reading the boards for a couple weeks, I decided to go ahead and post my question.

This might be more of a question for the beginner forum, but I have a perc Clownfish that likes to play dead.

No really, after the light goes out and I'm in bed trying to sleep, I'll hear splashing noises comign from the tank, so I'll go look and find it swimming on it's side. Even though it doesn't appear to be struggling or anything, the first time I noticed this I figured it'd be dead by morning.

When morning came, it was waggling around like normal.

I guess the splashing sound occurs when it gets stuck in a current or something, I dunno.

Anyhow, so is this typical behavior?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

clowns are wierd. my perc rarely left the surface of the water, swam sideways along the water's edge and appeared to take the water surface as its host.

unfortunately, the perc performed one last stunt that resulted in its demise. It jumped from the tank into a small cup sitting next to the tank, behind the fuge. An amazing but tragic feat.

r.i.p. little perc.

how long after the lights go out does it start splashing? do you have any plants (macro/microalgae) in there? do you have anything stirring up the water surface to facilitate atmospheric exchange?

or it could just be a stupid perc.

Steve-Ward.net

I'm not for sure as to when the splashing starts, although I've never noticed it immediately following lights out, so my best guess would be that 20-30 minutes is the earliest I've heard it. I've heard it as late as 2-3 hours after they go out.

No plants, I do have some microalgae, mushrooms, and a long-polyp toadster coral. As for flow, I've got my old freshwater filter still running 'cuz it's quiet and helps with flow, and a Rio90, though I turn it off at night 'cuz it's hard for me to sleep with it running (it's not that loud, but still contributes to my insomnia).

I think it's just a stupid perc. I you've got any other ideas as to what it might be, I'm open to hear them though.

Thanks,

Steve

talk about insomina X)

try turning off the rio during the 'day'. see if the perc splashes during the day then. SW holds less O2 than FW so if you don't run a skimmer or churn the water surface to allow gas exchange the perc may be gasping.

check your pH level too.

Steve-Ward.net

I see what you mean, but the thing is, I've only had the Rio for about a week and it was doing this before. My ph, last I checked was around 8.4, but I'll do another check right now. Hopefully it'll be a little lower since I just did a 2.5g water change a couple days ago (my tank is a 10g).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived