Pod Your Reef

yellow polyps dying....help

tau626

I 've had my tank up for about 4 months and just picked up my first coral..a yellow polyp. Slowly acclimated it and it has been doing fine for a week. There were a couple polyps that haven't opened and I think they were slowly dying...I figure some might die...now the polyps around the dying ones are closing up....the polyps are turning brownish color. The polyps get good flow and are placed in the middle of the aquarium...What to do? I guess I need to check the water params first...any ideas?? Oh yeeah when I first place the polyps in the tank a few fell off and disappeared..I think they died off....Should I be removind dead polyps??

Checking parameter...

I keep the temp between 77 to 80 F

the salinity is 1.023

6 gallon eclipse

32 watt CSL retrofit

false clown

red scarlet hermot crab

Emerald crab

3 nass snails

1 astrea snail

remove dead anything.

my guess is that it's water quality rather than feeding. i've never fed my yp's (five years), now that doesn't mean they don't eat (marine snow or opportune plankton) but i don't target anything to them. they may grow even faster with food but i don't think it's necessary in a system with fish and decent LR.

are you running the eclipse's filter cartridge (i.e. w/carbon)? if not, do so. if so, how often do you change? start thinking weekly for awhile. change it now unless you just did it (i.e. yesterday).

i'd do a 1/2-gal to 1-gal water change (RO or RO/DI or distilled water as the base). if you want, do another every couple of days. in a week the yp's should re-open up. yp's are very sensitive to water quality and are good canaries for your system. hth

I checeked my water...

ammonia, nitrates and nitrites were non-existant...

but my ph was kinda high around 8.4-8.8...

also it seems that the polyps that are in the stronger current are okay...but the polyps on the sides are closing...maybe I'll try to move the polyps to a more direct current stream...

Archived