Top Shelf Aquatics

REfugium pump

fuzzman24

ok, i bought a refuge from acrylic city on ebay but i don't have a pump for it yet. i know that he says it will work with a rio 600 but i don't really want to use a pump that big since it is only on a 10 gallon tank. my question is, is the output nozzle size the same on a rio 200 as a rio 600. or is there another pump that will work in there that fits and is small? i bought a maxijet mini 405 but that doesn't fit, but i needed an extra for mixing anyways so can someone help?

wetworx101

it is that standard output you will find on most of those mini-spec powerheads and rio pumps. But, the output on the rio600 should be ok, if not a little boost for a 10gallon, since it isnt a jet so much as a gentle overflow return.

is this a HOB fuge? If so, a 200gph powerhead is too much for that IMO. A fuge is supposed to have lower flow to make it ideal for pods. I use a 300gph pump for my below tank fuge, but its only going about 100-150ish GPH, due to the height. a minijet404 would work good IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
ELGORDOINAVW

you could buy the rio 600 and use a ball valve i rather have alot of flow and be able to turn it down than to have a little and have to upgrade.

Did you know that the "eco-system" aquarium refugiums ask for a flow through something like 10-15 times the capacity of the refugium? I use a maxijet600 on my 8gallon HOB fuge...and the pod population is booming. Still want to turn down the flow??? Consider this: all those Aquaclear filters converted ito fuges, although not at maximum flow once modified, still have a monsterous flow going through them considering the size...biologists and aquarists also believe the macro grows better with higher flow...and is more effective as a filter as well like this. So what was all this crap about turning down the flow????

Archived