inTank Media Baskets

skimmer: to buy or not to buy

Flipturn88

Flipturn88

I have read many conflicting reports on whether to get a protein skimmer or not (for a 29-gallon). Some people say that they are beyond a neccessity and others claim they will remove important things and should be avoided. Now is when I need your help! I want what will be the best for my tank in the long run, even if it means more water changes X) Thanks

~Kayla

SeaMountain

You're abso- friggin'-lutely right flip! There are many conflicting posts and threads on the use of skimmers.

Personally, I did pick up a picollo skimmer from Yup a contributor on NR.com just so I could have one available if I ever decided to toss one on. Right now I have a 10g and do at least one - if not two - quick WC's a week. It's not a real problem and can be done in less than 5 minutes time.

When I do get a scum developing on the water surface I lay a paper towel across the surface and lift it right off.

Some do. Some don't. Some will. Some won't. One fish. Two fish. Three fish. Blue fish.

I would go without a skimmer for awhile and do regular WC's. If you have the extra cash laying around, or have an overfeeding problem with a big fish bioload... Then go for the skimmer. A 29g may be just a tad too much for your LR alone. How much LR do you have in there? B)

Flipturn88

Well as of now SeaMountain I don't have any live rock--the tank is still in progress :happy: But I was planning on around 40 lbs of LR. Would that be a substantial amount for filtration? Should I get any other type of filter to help it along a bit? Thanks.

~Kayla

Kayla get a HOB so you can put some carbon in there from time to time and a filter pad also from time to time.

Also, where are you thinking about getting the live rock from?

Flipturn88

bamann345, you are probably familiar with the Petland off of Medlock Bridge. At first I was going to get it from there, but after doing some research on the internet I found there are lots of better deals around (they want like 6.99 a lb or somethin). I have a couple of options:

Marine Depot Live.com ~ http://www.marinedepotlive.com/lr.html

($150 for 44 lbs and shipping is included)

Liveaquaria.com ~ http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...d=24&pCatId=397 (only $99 for 45 lbs!!!) The only thing is the shipping is 53 bucks X)

Those where the two sights I was considering. I figure I'll just break down and get the sand from P-Land...

~Kayla

Kayla also check out http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/liverocksand/ . Their live rock is VERY VERY nice. It is a little more but every piece is hand picked to what sized you need, unlike the other 2 places you noted above.

Check out this thread http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=19103 and see pictures of the rock. It is a lot more colorful and much better shapes!!!

In my mind it is nicer to have this rock than the other rock. But I think either would be fine.

William Mann

Flipturn88

Thanks again bamann345. their LR is VERY nice, and I am willing to pay a bit more for better quality. Do you suggest live sand? I saw you have some for your nano...

~Kayla

Some but not all of it. I have about 7 pounds of southdown seeded with only 3 lbs of live sand.....dead sand is just fine, sand will soon be quickly seeded with all that good stuff.

Are you going to have a tank up and running by the meeting on the 27th? If not, wait and see what others have to say. There are some people comming that have YEARS in reefing and know MUCH, MUCH more than I do!!!

Flipturn88

I wish I could have my tank set up by the 27th! I've learned that patience is a very important virtue in this business. I'm still short on $$$ and knowledge--two very important factors. but that does not mean I won't have plenty of questions. I will never run out of those :angel: Thanks to everyone who is willing to help me out and answer my manifold questions!

~Kayla

In a word: BUY! Get a skimmer...you won't regret it...like I said in your other thread, Kayla, do it RIGHT. While I think the necessity of a skimmer is something that is up for debate (given a high level of diligence towards your tank), the benefits of having one are not. While skimmers aren't an excuse to slack..they certainly enlarge that margin of error that is already so small on a nano. I think that a skimmer is quite possibly the best friend of anyone who is new to reefkeeping.

HTH...

NaNo ReeFiN, I see you are running two powerheads, what is that thing int he top left of your picture? (The tank picture, not your avatar!) Are you running a sump?

V

Flipturn88

Wow great tank NaNO ReeFiN! That will hopefully someday resemble mine... well anyways is it ok if I just buy a cheap skimmer so that I can compromise between owning one and not one at all? Or are the nicer ones (and more expensive :( ) really THAT much better?

~kayla

I was looking at this one: http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ps_rspho_info.asp?CartId=

It's the first one on that page. It looks like a good deal and a pretty nice quality skimmer considering the price. How's that look?

Does anybody have any other suggestions... :flower: ?

NaNO ReeFiN
Originally posted by Vincerama

NaNo ReeFiN, I see you are running two powerheads, what is that thing int he top left of your picture? (The tank picture, not your avatar!) Are you running a sump?

V

That was the elbow piping for my CPR hang on AquaFuge (18" model). If you look at the powerhead on the right side, you can see there's another powerhead behind that that's bringing the water into the fuge.

Archived