ReefCleaners.org

Video - Standing waves with a Vortech

jsw

The frequency of the waves in a tank this size is too fast IMO. I don't run the vortech in pulse mode all the time -- it's good for getting all the corals fed though. Just wanted to give an idea of how effective this powerhead can be as a wavemaker.

Video crapped out before i got to the clowns...

Looks awesome though. I had clowns in a 20 gallon before with a MJ1200. I often wondered if the clowns hated that.

Curious...how low is the water line from the rim of the tank? Also if the frequency can be adjusted can you post another video? Just curious as to how well it emulates underwater movement, if the purpose is mainly for tank aesthetics.

Thanks

The wave rate is tied to the resonance frequency of the tank. For a tank as small as mine the resonance frequency is pretty darn quick. If you don't have the Vortech set to pulse at the resonance frequency of the tank you don't get waves. In short, if you want slower waves you have to get a bigger tank.

redbrick, I'd say the water level is about 2 inches from the top. Like I said above, the wave rate is tied to the size of the tank. I don't use this for aesthetics. It really gets all the water in the tank moving so it's very effective for creating a flow. I have a 620gph Seio plus the 350gph return on top of the Vortech. Lots of flow = happy SPS. This wave making keeps the flow a little more random and gives the corals a little better chance (IMO with nothing to back it up) to grab food out of the water column.

Clowns are tough little buggers. They like it...

Very cool video dshnarw.

neanderthalman, I guess this should be moved? Mods?.

Looks awesome!

My clowns look like that most of the time as well so it might not be so much trouble....Might have missed it but do you set it for a time of day or do you have to do it manually?

Archived