Pod Your Reef

Turbo snail shells??

kailkaitan

kailkaitan

Do you have to buy shells for turbo snails to transfer into and if so, where do you get them. I have a 10 gal that I have had up since the end of May. I had 3 lbs of rock in it that had cycled and was having a diatom bloom so I thought I would just get one snail incase my tank wasn't ready. I didn't want a bunch of critters dying because I was still adding rock. I added another 5lbs of rock a couple of weeks ago and that caused another cycle and the beautiful coralline on it looks awful now and the tank is covered in diatom. The snail was on the sand bed for two days in the same area so this morning I was going to remove it thinking it was dead and it moved after I picked it up. I put it on a rock and it is alive but I was wondering if it needs a new shell. It's only about an inch in diameter and I don't know how fast they grow or if they need new shells?? I still plan on adding another 5lbs of rock in the furture so I don't want to add anymore animals as of now. I'm also getting hair algae that came with this last bunch of rock. Any ideas??

no. Snails grow their own shells. If they get separated from their shell they die. The shell is part of them. You must be thinking of hermit crabs, which utilize other snail's shells.

kailkaitan

I knew hermit crabs needed other shells as they grow but I don't know anything about snails so thank you, that really helps. Do I just wait for the diatoms to subside or should I get a couple more snails and hope they make it when I get the other 5 lbs of live rock?? Thanx again

Archived