ReefCleaners.org

Mandarin Goby

pjtech

no... NO.... A THOUSAND TIMES NO!!!!

Expert ONLY fish, needs at least a 55-75gal. minimum tank, tanks must've been established for at least 6 months(a year's optimum)

they're cool, I want one too, EVERYONE does... but a Mandarin in the hands of a beginner is a dead mandarin

yup... sorry, i didn't mean to be a jerk about it... Just wanted to make sure you didn't spend all that money only for it to die in 1 month when it starves. They're very picky eaters and will usually only eat critters in the sand bed.... hence they need to be in a well established tank with a lot of sandy surface area. Sucks though, they ARE the coolest fish...I want one too:*(

Billdemart

Not to mention you need an @ss-ton of live rock in that established tank for them to survive.

I have wanted one for a while. In fact I think im going to get a 150 gallon tank someday just so I can get one.

belallanon

I also considered a Mandarin until I did my research. I think every new nano keeper with no previous experience has considered them. They just won't survive in a nano unless you find one that will eat shrimp or krill and even then I still wouldn't keep one. You're not alone in your desire . I think if I were to write a beginners nano FAQ, "Can I keep a Mandarinfish?" would be the first question :)

belallanon

Good question, I'm still looking myself. I have a False Perc now and am considering some kind of Goby. I looked at the Catalina Goby, but discovered it requires lower temperatures and wouldn't survive long at the temps of a reef tank. Some people may like Damsels, but my opinion is they are just mean little fish and darn near impossible to remove from a tank (it took me over half an hour to remove one from a 6 gal because I didn't want to disturb the rock and corals).

Anyone else have any ideas on colorful fish? If I find a good one, I'll let you know Patjs.

dottybacks are very pretty and aggressive...hey, come to think of it that's my criteria for women too. X)

Billdemart

I think im going to add a small yellow watchman goby to mine that has a small perc in it so far. I saw one at the store today, beautiful but 30 bucks!

belallanon

I like the watchmen also, but I just have LS for substrate. They would get pretty frustrated trying to build a den in LS :)

Billdemart
Originally posted by belallanon

I like the watchmen also, but I just have LS for substrate. They would get pretty frustrated trying to build a den in LS :)

Im assuming most people have live sand in their nano's but I have seen many with yellow watchmans. Is this a problem?

belallanon

From what I've read, the watchman prefers a larger grain substrate like crushed coral along with sand to build its den. It's also prone to carpet surfing. Anybody have a watchman with only a LS substrate? Any problems?

Originally posted by pjtech

Belallanon,

What is a good colorful fish to keep in a nano besides

a Goby, Clown or Damsel?

Thanks

Patjs

Six-line wrasse.

southpaw23

anyone considered a bicolor blenny.....i saw one at the LFS and they looked kinda cute.....is there any problems associated with this fish or is it a relatively hardy fish to keep in a nano?....

Reefy,

I love six-line wrasses but don't they need a fairly long tank? The ones that I have seen are constantly swimming back and forth over the LR looking for food. Very active swimmers. Also, how safe are cleaner shrimp and sexy shrimp with them? I'd like to get one in a 15" wide 15 gallon tank if I could. Thanks,

Scott

Easy to keep, fairly interesting. I just added one to my 90, and he's very active. At first, he didn't get along with my cleaner shrimp real well, but they seem to have worked out their differences. Maybe the cleaner shrimp poked him in the eye and taught him a lesson.

I'd probably only add him to a larger nano, though. At least 20 gal., in order to give him some space to move around.

Southpaw23, I have had my bi color blenny for around a year now and I only really see him when he comes out to eat.

If you want a active fish that swims around all the time get something else.

Most blenny's hide in the rocks most of the day, but they are still a very nice fish to have.

watchman goby! mine digs borrows in the sand (never has been a prob for him) under the lr. he has many dens which are all interconnected. mainly he just hangs out with the emeral crab the seem to have paired up. (i though they only did this with ceartin species of shrimp?)

Thanx for the info surfy....i was thinking of probably having a clown in the tank as well so he'll be the active one and i wanted a bottom dweller and the bicolor looked really cute poking in and outta the rocks and stuff...

I'm thinking of probably another fish to have a total of 3 in a total volume of 18 gallons of water...i know that's pushing it, which is why i thought that the blenny being small and all would be alrite for the tank....

Anyone violently opposed to this plan is welcome to make other suggestions...still contemplating on the third fish.. :P

Archived