Pod Your Reef

Bye Bye Ich

Crakeur

I know this should be in disease treatment but I doubt if it would be read in there so I am posting it here, with the hopes that it will get some eyes on it prior to it being moved.

In my 180 galloon reef I had a serious case of ich. 25 or so fish dead in a couple of weeks. Cost? Way too much.

So I bought ruby reef's ich treatment and a tube of garlic elixir and treated the tank on Thursday, prior to leaving for the weekend (4 day break between dosing so it worked out perfect) and I returned this morning to the office to find that the remaining fish are all free of the visible signs of the disease. Three of the fish left in the tank had cloudy eyes, spots on fins and around the body and there is not even a mark on any of the fish. Colors are back to normal and everything looks great. I will continue the treatment for the required time and continue to feed with garlic elixir a few times a week to ensure that the disease is gone.

The corals in the tank consist of shrooms, leathers, two large bubble corals, star polyps, two encrusting stonies (hitchhikers - one was dying prior to the dosing) and none of these showed any signs of damage from the dosing.

If you have any ich problems, there is a reef safe solution - Ruby Reef.

Wow, great to know! I use the garlic extract a couple times a week just to bump of the slime coat on the fish in my tanks. A little bit of prevention goes a long way. Plus the fish love it!

true but now my 180 smells like an italian restaurant.

actually the extract is supposed to be used as a preventative measure, not as a treatment.

Yeah, I've used garlic too, with good results. Except I used a crushed clove mixed with the food. It increases the fish's resistance to ick, it is also an appetite(sp) stimulator. One of my LFS reccommends it, the other recommends no treatment at all except relieving stress. They actually offered to take my affected fish, which I didn't purchase from them, and hospitalize it in their sump to let it recover. If they'd even offer to treat a fish like that, I'm gonna assume that method is pretty reliable. Just my 2C!

reducing stress is best but we don't all have a lfs willing to care for fish. most of them are more willing to sell us sick fish instead.

I tried playing soothing music, offering massages to the fish and taking the females out of the tank but that didn't reduce the stress much. The males did seem to congregate in one corner with a deck of cards, stogies and what appeared to be a small keg, once the females were removed. ich stayed but the tank seemed happier, go figure.

jd, search the member tank thread for "the not so nano" thread. that will give you some photos. I can't repost em

Originally posted by Crakeur

The males did seem to congregate in one corner with a deck of cards, stogies and what appeared to be a small keg, once the females were removed.  ich stayed but the tank seemed happier, go figure.

bwAHAHAHAHHA!!!!:D That's great! :woot:

You needed to leave the females in, and supply a a few bottles of wine! Once they've had a few glasses, everyone can relax. Works for me anyhow.

eniberation. helping ugly folks and fish get laid since the dawn of time! (sorry yup had to throw that one in).

Archived