Coral Vue Hydros

lighting on my 10 gallon

phil121

I have a 10 gallon that I plan on setting up. I have been reading in the forums since about last October. I was wondering though, and I tried searching first, if my 36watt JBJ clamp light (half actinic 03, 10000k) is enough lighting for most corals or if more is needed. Any advice would be appreciated.

THNX

That would be fine for lower light corals such as shrooms, xenia, some ricordia and a few other corals. However, I would at least double that amount before you proceede with any other organizms that require higher light.

Whats the cheapest and most effective way to up my lighting to around 65 watts? Anything I can simply add to supplement the lighting now or do I just need to get a a whole new lighting fixture. I have no hood, hence the use of a clamp light which I was using on freshwater tank.

Im a 21 year old college student. Budget is up to $200 dollars. This is birthday money. I suck at DIY. :)

Well. You might want to consider this...

70w MH ballast - 40 bux

70w MH Bulb - 25 bux

Hood/Shell w/socket and reflector (legs optional) - 50-60 bux

Soo - for about 150 bux, and money to spare - you have just upgraded your tank! If you would like further nfo on where to find all the parts, let me know.

Absolutely, that would be cool. If you can tell me where to get the parts I would totally be interested.

don't forget with any lighting system there are ongoing costs associated with bulb replacement etc. some people believe MH bulbs should be replaced every 6 months, PC's seem good for 12 months... and you might want to keep a spare on hand in case one goes out...

-skeletor-

Originally posted by skeletor

don't forget with any lighting system there are ongoing costs associated with bulb replacement etc. some people believe MH bulbs should be replaced every 6 months, PC's seem good for 12 months... and you might want to keep a spare on hand in case one goes out...

-skeletor-

You got that way backwards.

MH - 1-1 1/2 yrs

PC - 6-8 months

Archived