inTank Media Baskets

sand and rock, better to order?

muz_yamosa

muz_yamosa

Hello,

We were wondering is it best to order LR and LS through the mail or to get it from the LFS? Is there much of a difference? What would be the best sources to order from?

joel + james

usually it depends. at the lfs, the live rock will be more expensive than on the net, but you won't have to pay shipping. if you order the live rock, it will have more die off on it, so it may take longer to cycle your tank. at the lfs, the rock should be well cured, but most likely will not have life on it.

i bought my rock from a local store here in kc for 6.50 lb. (it'll be cheaper if you live near a coast, but kansas isn't exactly close to any ocean, or body of water for that matter). the guy said that you never see corals or invertabrates growing on the rock he sold, but i liked how it looked, so i bought it anyway. it has cycled my tanks very quickly and i'm satisfied with it.

i hope my help was helpful.

i've ordered my liverocks about 3 weeks ago. i looked into Dr.Mac's. everybody had good comments about their rocks, but shipping costed way too much cus i'm in California. i looked also into TBsaltwater and read good reviews on their rocks, but they wanted around $60 or so for shipping i think and i had to go pick them up at the airport. i finally settled for Gulf-view, they ship via Air-borne, for 30lb and 40lb, shipping is $48, cheapest for shipping all the way across the country. i like their rocks, came with couple of clams, not the fancy kind, but still cool. lotsa colors, red, purple, orange. also tagging along was several snails. i wouldn't recommend their live sand tho. i bought 5 pounds, but ended up removing all the rocks and scooping out the sand couple weeks later cus i decided that i don't like the way it looked afterall. i prefer the white, live-arag sand which was under the gulf-view live sand.

Archived