Pod Your Reef

Skilter 250 Power Filter

pjtech

skilters are not all bad, you just need a few mods and they are a good cheap skimmer. I ran one on a 10gal for a while and it worked great. you do get what you pay for so don't expect it to work as well as $150 skimmer. :)

-skeletor-

AZDesertRat

The Skilter works fine on a small tank with a few simple modifications. Drill a hole the size of airline tubing in the lid directly over the uplift tube and install a wooden airstone. Make the hole so tubing is a snug fit so you can raise and lower the airstone as needed. Too low and you get bubbles in the tank and too high and you don't remove enough gunk. Use an air pump with an air adjustment control or put an air valve in the line to control the output.

The other thing you should do is to throw away the floss and carbon cartridges and go but a spong insert for a Whisper Traid and cut it slightly to fit the Skilter frame. You never have to replace it, just rinse it regularly.

I sucessfully used two set ups like this for years before upgrading to more expensive skimmers. In fact I have a TetraTec 300 on my 37G that is absolutely the worst investment I have ever made hands down and I am pulling one of my Skilters out of the junk drawer to replace it.

You will hear a million opinions on this subject but if you are on a budget the Skilter works just fine on a small system if you do what I did.

Archived