Coral Vue Hydros

LR setup question

jpun1

Okay this question is going to be truly a newbie question. I see some of the more advanced tank keepers tank cluttered with corals and stuff, yet their tank glass stays algae free! My question is how they keep it so clear without having to move all their coral out??? Or do they have to take it all out just to clean the tank. Currently I try to leave enough room between the rock and the glass so i can get in there to clean, but my hand still bumps into the corals that I have and I am afraid that i may injur them if i am not careful.

Most of us only clean the FRONT glass...for starters. Personally..I don't give a darn if I have coraline encrusting every inch of the sides and back. Beyond that..its a matter of letting the snails do your dirty work. Get a herd of the darn things and turn them loose...they'll do all the algae removal without you doing very much (I usually magnet my front glass once every couple of days..just to clean up what they miss). And there is some amount of algae in every tank..its natural and SHOULD be there...its just that it doesn't always show up perfectly in pics. If you're getting a ridiculous overabundance of algae however, its time to look at your water quality..(specifically phosphates!)..and if necessary...get your water from a better/more pure source. (Treat the problem..not the symptoms..)

HTH..

Yeah, pretty much what deimos said. Once your tank stabalizes, and you have a good clean up crew, the only thing you will have to clean is a quick scrape of coralline that is on the front glass. Let the coralline go nuts on the side and back, it looks cool and it is a pain in the ass to scrape off everywhere. I usually try to leave just enough space between the liver rock and the glass for my hand. But where I can't I just attatch a razor to a stick and have at it. Do not use a razor if your tank is acrylic, use a credit card.good luck

thanks for the input i greatly appreciate it! how much of a clean up crew do i need for a tank my size? right now i have 1 blue legged hermit, 3 scarlet hermits, 3 astrias, and one turbo...

Archived